Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/23/2009 1:43:24 PM EDT
I am going tomorrow afternoon to pick up a new pup, & I need a name. It's a male German Shepherd. I've come up with a few names but cannot decide, so I'm looking for a little help. I want some thing that sounds good rolling off the tongue, nothing long & not sissy like. Here is what I've thought of so far.

Colt (gotta have that as a choice right?)
Nico
Titan
Vince
Zeke

Another one that I've thought of, & am not to sure of is Jericho.

What do you all think, any of them sound like a good one? Any other good ones?

Will post pics of the little guy tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Rocky

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I made a longer list and posted it online when I bought the german shepherd I have now, I ended up going with none of them, I think names are better when they develope after knowing the dogs for a few days, but that's only my opinion, but niko is a good name. Since you're a jeep person wrangler might be cool to..
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged for pics
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Max.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a believer that you should just relax and be with the dog. If you do it right, a name should just pop into your head. It will be so obvious, you won't be able to imagine the dog without the name.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Moses,
Gaston,
Zeke
Boltface
Shultz

ETA:  We have 2 GSD's.  Both female.  Kayla and Anka.  They are truly the best dogs in the world.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It took my kids over a week to name each of our dogs.

I had a pit/lab mix named skeezix and it only took me 30 seconds to name her. She was excelent, 14 years , guard and great with kids, best of both breeds.

After internet searches and books they come up with Venus for the female GSD. expected 80- 90 lbs and they want Venus, Ok, I can live with short sweet "V" for field use.

Next dog a stray that captured hearts while I was at a night classs at NCSU. Dang, if I'd been home he coulda been to the pound or in the ground. Another 8 or 9 days for them to come up with Romeo for a Jack Russel/feist? OK, I can live with calling him "Rum" for the field, works well, no way in hades I'm going out calling Romeo in a high pitched voice, nope.

Next GSD I get will be a white with a registered name of John Moses Browning, and I think I'll call him "Mo" for short. Yep GSDs are the perfect companion, but smething has to be said for making the wifey and kidlets happy with a lap dog. 90 lbs of GSD can be too much for a lap dog, foot rest/warmer, but not lap dog material.

semper paratus

molone laveh

nra lifer

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Trigger
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I really don't need a name right away do I?  Would just like to get him used to hearing one ASAP.

colsonkentucky,
Can't name him Max, had a Siberian Husky named Max about 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a quick picture of my new little buddy. He's already an alert one, just look at the expression on his face.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Here's a quick picture of my new little buddy.

He's already an alert one, just look at the expression on his face.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/hk45shooter/IMG_0135600x450.jpg

Nice looking Pup.

How about Gringo?

Aldo?

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's a quick picture of my new little buddy. He's already an alert one, just look at the expression on his face.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/hk45shooter/IMG_0135600x450.jpg

[pathetic high voice]who's a good boy[/pathetic high voice]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The name of the most amazing GSD I've ever seen (Sh. III, CDX, you name it) was..... (drum roll please.....)

NELSON  (I'm hoping after Willie).  

Thought I'd throw that one out there....
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
How 'bout Meathead?  Don't take offense, that's what I call mine sometimes.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a friend that named his "GAR". Short for something else. But always liked the name GAR..........
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
How about Renegade? or Magpul?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Did a quick search for German dog names..
My fav are Meister (meaning "master") and Zucker ( sugar)

Link
If your dog�s breed is of german origin, you might think about a german dog name. Several german dog breeds are known all over the world. The most popular one for sure is the German Shepherd Dog. Other german dog breeds are the Dachshund, the German Pinscher, the German Shorthaired Pointer and the German Wirehaired Pointer.
No matter if you already own one of the dogs mentioned above, you should be able to find a suitable and unique german puppy name from the list below..

Aberhard (no meaning, it´s just a name)

Adicus (A strong name for a large breed (ie. German Shepherd))

Adler

Adrian

Albrecht

Altar

Amlyn

Anette

Angela

Angelika

Anke

Annette

Arnold

Audi

Autobahn ( highway, no speed limit on the german "autobahn")

Axel

Bach (1) famous composer and musician 2)creek, small river)

Barnabas

Bavaria (Southern state of Germany)

Baxter

Beethoven (Composer)

Begonia (flowername)

Berta

Bettina

Bianka

Bismarck (German cancellor)

Bleak

Blessi

Blitz (flash)

BMW (well known German car - short for: Bayrische Motoren-Werke

Bodo

Brandenburg

Bratwurst ( sausage)

Brita (strength)

Britta

Bruno

Claudia

Dieter

Drinda

Edelweiss (rare and famous alpine flower; meaning "noble" and "white")

Eika

Einstein

Elke

Elmar

Elsie

Elska

Eugen

Falk (short for Falko, meaning "falcon")

Fischer ( fisherman)

Fraeulein (Miss)

Frankenstein

Frankfurter

Franz

Franzel

Freida

Frieda

Friederike

Fritz

Fritzchen

Grau ( grey)

Greta

Gretchen

Gretel

Gunther

Halma

Hans

Hasso

Heidi

Heinrich

Heinz

Helga

Helmut

Hertha

Herzelfritz

Hexe (witch)

Hilde Gaurd

Jagermeister (correct spelling is "Jaegermeister", a liquor brand)

Jauck

Kaiser (King)

Karl

Kaspar

Klaus

Kohl

Liebe (Love)

L�bke (the second Senator of germany)

Luger (It is the name of an old German gun.)

Luther

Margret

Martin

Mathias

Max

Meister (meaning "master")

Mercedes (spanish name, but german car)

Milka (Chocolate Candy Bar)

Mozart

Nord

Olga

Oskar

Ostara (Germanic Goddess Springtime)

Otto

Pfoetchen (pronounced pfoe-t-schen; meaning "Baby Paws")

Polizei ( police)

Porschea (Modified spelling of Porsche)

Purtzel (Tumble)

Rainer

Regine

Rex (common german dog name, used for large breeds, like german shepherds)

Rita

Rudiger

Rudolf

Ruprecht

Sabine

Schatz (pronounced: shatts; Meaning "Treasure/Little Treasure" similar to "darling"!)

Schatzi (pronounced: shatt-szi; Meaning "Treasure/Little Treasure" similar to "darling"!)

Schatzie (Little Sweetheart)

Schauspieler (actor/actress)

Schnaps (liquor)

Schnitzel (wiener "Schnitzel")

Schwarz ( black)

Sebastian (After Johann Sebastian Bach)

Siegfried

Sophie (sweet)

Streuzel

Struppi

Suesse (pronounced: zoo-sa; Meaning "Sweetie" like Cutie-Pie)

Trinka

Ulla

Ulrich

Una

Uschi

Uta

Uwe

Vagabund (vagabond)

Verona

Walther

Wei� ( white)

Wera

Wolfgang

Wunder (wonder)

Wunderkind

Zucker ( sugar)

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Ended up naming him Nico.

He is doing good now. Starting to eat & drink on a regular basis. Which according to the Vet, means that he is getting used to his new home.

He is doing good in his crate. I leave it open when I am home & he will go in there & sleep. I put the t-shirt I wore that day in there for him at night. It gets him by for a couple hours, then he starts to scream & cry. (hopefully that will not last long. Gotta wear earplugs to bed to get some decent sleep.) The only thing I am concerned about with the crate, is having to leave him in it so much when I'm sleeping & working. Will that have any negative affects on crate training him?

He has a few accidents on the floor, which I have tried catching him before he does it, but usually he is mostly done peeing when I do catch him, so I tell him "NO" then take him out side to his potty spot. Has not pooped on the floor yet though. It is kinda hard to catch getting ready to pee since he is so low to the ground already, & he is always sniffing around (exploring new things) anyways.

Anybody able to give me some pointers to help out in  house training him? I've read a lot of info on the internet, but maybe some real world advise from others would be good too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Named mine Kimber she's a sweetie.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Most important step to Potty Training is to Crate Train.
Unless you can pay 100% attention to the Pup running around in the House he/she needs to be in the crate.
As soon as you take it out of the crate take him outside, have treats ready and when he goes, lots of praise and treats.
When putting in crate tell him "kennel up" , they learn that real quick, no more fighting to put them in.
Its a pain in the ass, but at his age he needs to go out every half hr to 45 minutes.

You will no doubt learn cues from him when he needs to go potty, each dog is different, some whine, go to the door, stare at you, pace, smell around (obvious), act really anxious, etc.
As he grows the Crate size needs to grow.If you start him in a big crate he will potty in it. If too big partition it off with a box or something.
Depending on YOUR habits of staying up. etc. With hold water after 5-6 pm until his bladder grows more.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top