Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/23/2009 3:15:38 AM EDT
So My 12 wk old GSD puppy seems to be bitting and nipping quite a bit. Now I know all puppies bite, its there way of figuring out what something is and if they like it or not.

But everytime he gets excited and happy he likes to bite at hands, ankles, faces, EVERYTHING. He has plenty of chew/teething toys, he has bully sticks and everything. But he still seems to bite, I try to redirect the bitting onto other things, but when you are petting him or anything you have to be careful so he doesnt bite you. The big issue is that he is a puppy and has some INSANELY sharp teeth that actually cut the skin and have caused a few people to bleed now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Puppies bite as that is how they play with other pups.  Trouble is that human skin isn't as tough and it hurts like hell .  We used bitter apple spray on our hands will all our pups over the years.  When they get a taste they "realize" human skin is nasty tasting.  That and once the biting starts, walk away so they will learn that biting = no more fun times.  The more laughing and carrying on you do when you get bit the more of a rise they get from doing it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I went through this with one of my rotty's and 12 weeks old is still quite young.  It sounds like you're doing everything
right.  Try keeping a chew toy with you while petting him to keep his attention focused on it instead of your hands.  
Adventually he will bring the toys to you when he wants to play.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Aren't puppies fun with those razor sharp teeth!  I have been through this as well.  The above are good ideas.  When mine started to nip I would just remind him that that wasn't desired so I just gave him a little tap on the nose (nothing too hard) and then give him something to chew on like a bone or a toy and he quickly learned that he could chew and chomp on those all day long and everyone was happy.  My dog has more toys than a daycare.  Good luck with your puppy, they are great family members.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
my current gsd mix was the most nippy dog i have ever had. She got over it with training at about 5 months.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Never let a dog put teeth on a person.  It's not nearly as much fun to correct when they are 100lbs.

Correct the behavior immediately.  Usually a good strong NO is all it takes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never let a dog put teeth on a person.  It's not nearly as much fun to correct when they are 100lbs.

Hmmm...

I wish my dog would understand my "NO". He doesnt even when I use a strong and firm loud voice and am stareing directly at him in the eyes... still just sits there munching on whatever. Lol.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So My 12 wk old GSD puppy seems to be bitting and nipping quite a bit. Now I know all puppies bite, its there way of figuring out what something is and if they like it or not.

But everytime he gets excited and happy he likes to bite at hands, ankles, faces, EVERYTHING. He has plenty of chew/teething toys, he has bully sticks and everything. But he still seems to bite, I try to redirect the bitting onto other things, but when you are petting him or anything you have to be careful so he doesnt bite you. The big issue is that he is a puppy and has some INSANELY sharp teeth that actually cut the skin and have caused a few people to bleed now.

puppy teeth are very pointed.  but remember the dog learns by mouthing. but to get him to stop mouthing you buy the plastic bottle of lemon juice that is shaped like a lemon.  hold it in your hand, when the pup mouths you give him a good squirt down the back of his throat. it will be the last time he mouths you. also when ever you want him to obey all you have to do is show the lemon container. it works every time.  the lemon juice will not hurt the dog.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't engage him in rough play.  Whenever he gets all wound up make him sit and reward him with "Good Boy!"  Don't hit the dog as it may leave a negative association with being hands on, and you will need access to his mouth later on for teeth inspection, and pulling stuff out he's not supposed to have.  You are the dominant one, not a play mate and he must learn that.  Love him and be firm and it will pay off.  But don't those little puppy teeth hurt like hell?!?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
All my pups did this they all grew out of it...
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Our shepard never outgrew this, 5 years old now.  Her herding habits seem permanently stamped in her little head.  

She does not clamp down hard enough to hurt, but has a "calibrated" jaw adjustted to what you are wearing.  Socks, tennis shoes, heavy leather work boots...

It is all part of playtime.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I would grab whatever part of her muzzle was above my palm and not let go.  This totally would freak her out as she couldn't get away by opening her mouth.  After a time she got into it though and just considered it part of the game.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used the following technique for years.

make sure their tongue is in, and squeeze the muzzle until they whine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I bit him back and said NO. He doesnt bite me unless we are training now and hes told to
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Wear gloves and let him bite them so he associates play biting with glove and not skin?

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<<<––––––––––-

See that asshole? He thinks it's hilarious to grab my arm and flail around when we wrestle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Give him something else to bite, if you get him excited let him bite a jute tug or other reward toy.  Soon he will learn that is what he can bite and you can use that as a reward for other behaviors.  You can teach a high drive GSD a lot with just a reward bite.  have him sit then reward him with a bite. Make the tug seem like a prey item and he will chase it and bite it.  When he bites keep it moving and dont directly face him, pull him around alittle and then let him have it, winning will build his confidence.

If he gets good grip use one hand to lift him off the ground and that will teach him to keep a strong grip, when he gets a little older and puppy teeth start to fall becareful because you can pull them out and then he will not want to bite anymore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Puppies bite as that is how they play with other pups.  Trouble is that human skin isn't as tough and it hurts like hell .  We used bitter apple spray on our hands will all our pups over the years.  When they get a taste they "realize" human skin is nasty tasting.  That and once the biting starts, walk away so they will learn that biting = no more fun times.  The more laughing and carrying on you do when you get bit the more of a rise they get from doing it.

This is how to handle it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't engage him in rough play.  Whenever he gets all wound up make him sit and reward him with "Good Boy!"  Don't hit the dog as it may leave a negative association with being hands on, and you will need access to his mouth later on for teeth inspection, and pulling stuff out he's not supposed to have.  You are the dominant one, not a play mate and he must learn that.  Love him and be firm and it will pay off.  But don't those little puppy teeth hurt like hell?!?

Even worse when they 'miss' something they are actually trying to eat...

My parents had an Irish Setter puppy who would constantly 'overshoot' his doggie treats & get your fingers too....
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#19]
whenever he bites inappropriately yell "OW!" or something similar then maybe grab/pinch the skin on the back of his neck for a few seconds if he persists.  Usually not a problem unless you remove them from the litter kinda young,  it shows that he could have benefited with a bit more socializing with other dogs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Whenever my GSD puppy bit me I said ouch loudly and left the room. This made him realize that biting equals no attention from me.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top