Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/19/2009 1:42:05 PM EDT
About 4 months ago I switched him from Science Diet Senior Large Breed to Innova Large Breed Senior. And since then he is farting a lot, some days it's just unbearable. I switched because of his paw licking, that stopped with the Innova dog food, but again the farting is nasty as hell

Vet recommended lowering food dosages since it's not full of fillers like SD, it sorta worked - but he's back to being gassy. (1.25 cups - 2x a day)

I am thinking about going back to SD, should I or maybe try Nutro?

He's a 12 year old English Setter, 64 pounds and in excellent shape, plenty of energy and healthy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe blend his food with the old SD or start putting bean O in it?

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Every once in a while I have to check to make sure the dog didn't die behind my recliner. She sure can stink up the place now and then.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
We have fed our GSD purina forever with some table scraps and the last year she has been gassy. My guess is its age related. She is 11 years old.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Eagle Pack Holistic Select, FTW
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have fed our GSD purina forever with some table scraps and the last year she has been gassy. My guess is its age related. She is 11 years old.

Not totally age related, I have 11 month old black lab. This dog gets SD and releases sbd bombs.

So bad that the other dogs gag and rinkle their noses.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My 7 month old GSD gets Innova Large Breed Puppy food and he is also a gas factory.  I think that's one drawback to using premium food.  A smelly dog is a happy dog.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Add some water to the dry dog food so he doesn't "gulp" his food and swallow a lot of extra air (assuming this is happening).

Seems to help my two pups.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 7 month old GSD gets Innova Large Breed Puppy food and he is also a gas factory.  I think that's one drawback to using premium food.  A smelly dog is a happy dog.

but the problem is that it really really smells - never had those problems the first 11 1/2 years with him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife hates it when Tiny farts. So I try to get him to fart more
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]
i don't mind the occasional farting, but he is like every 20mins to an hour - i mean it is bad.

the worst is when i fall asleep on the couch and the fucker points his ass to my face and lets his toxic mix, that REALLY woke me up.

or when i'm with my GF in bed, that smell really ruins my...
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
About 4 months ago I switched him from Science Diet Senior Large Breed to Innova Large Breed Senior. And since then he is farting a lot, some days it's just unbearable. I switched because of his paw licking, that stopped with the Innova dog food, but again the farting is nasty as hell

Vet recommended lowering food dosages since it's not full of fillers like SD, it sorta worked - but he's back to being gassy. (1.25 cups - 2x a day)

He's a 12 year old English Setter, 64 pounds and in excellent shape, plenty of energy and healthy.

look into the barf diet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Nutro scores higher in some food grading systems Ive seen that grades dog foods based on ingredients. Science and Iams score very poorly. I feed my dogs canadae and although there is some gas its not constant and the stools are dark and hard. There is also less discharge from the eyes which Ive read is the way dogs get rid of toxins or waste.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#13]
My dogs and I have a pact; I don't bother them about theirs and they don't bother me about mine, the obvious loser being my girlfriend as I can't remember hers ever being noticably stinky.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Innova is one of the highest ranked foods around from magazines and sites that know good quality food vs. hype - you made an excellent decision on the food choice.  Other good ones are Canidae, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, etc.

What you're likely seeing on the gassy side of things is due to the very rich, high protein makeup of the food.  Until his system adjusts to eating a high protein rich food, he may have some gas issues.  Some breeds always have gas issues.

What has worked for me in the past is using low fat, non-flavored yogurt in their diet.  Yogurt contains acidophilus and  they like it, it's good for them, and will reduce the gas by quite a bit in most instances.  On the plus side, large containers of plain low fat, non-sweetened yogurt are available at pretty much every grocery store.  

Hope that's helpful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Innova is one of the highest ranked foods around from magazines and sites that know good quality food vs. hype - you made an excellent decision on the food choice.  Other good ones are Canidae, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, etc.

What you're likely seeing on the gassy side of things is due to the very rich, high protein makeup of the food.  Until his system adjusts to eating a high protein rich food, he may have some gas issues.  Some breeds always have gas issues.

What has worked for me in the past is using non-flavored yogurt in their diet.  They like it, it's good for them, and will reduce the gas by quite a bit in most instances.  On the plus side, large containers of plain non-sweetened yogurt are available at pretty much every grocery store.  

Hope that's helpful.

Good advice. Fish based ingredients especially are good for dogs but tend to create gas, I just deal with the gas.
Anyone heard of "Mushers Mix"? Good supplement/bad gas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
By the way, for small dogs a couple teaspoons is enough. For a large dog, a couple tablespoons of the yogurt is enough per meal - so a big container will last you awhile.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I started eating healthier and I had some nice gas for awhile.  I just switched Trippy over to Innova evo red meats and he is getting gassy.  There seems to be a link between gas and healthy food.  My guess is it will fade in time as he gets used to the new food.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I started eating healthier and I had some nice gas for awhile. I just switched Trippy over to Innova evo red meats and he is getting gassy. There seems to be a link between gas and healthy food. My guess is it will fade in time as he gets used to the new food.

well sadly the pet store told me the same thing and nearly 4 months later my dog is a constant fart bomb with the Innova
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for a dog w/ gas on innova...
we couldn't take it anymore so my wife switched the dog to some sort "rachel ray" food that you can get at most grocery stores.. personally that woman annoys the hell out of me but the dogs love the food, no gas.. and 100% of the proceeds of the food go to fund animal shelters..
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
we couldn't take it anymore so my wife switched the dog to some sort "rachel ray" food that you can get at most grocery stores.. personally that woman annoys the hell out of me but the dogs love the food, no gas.. and 100% of the proceeds of the food go to fund animal shelters..

Maybe no gas, but that food is junk.  You might as well buy dog chow.   I will post up the info I read awhile back if I can find it.  But it wasn't good.

ETA- Not the review I read previously, but it hits on some of the major ingredient issues with the Nutrish food-  In addition to what is on here, dried beet pulp is not a good filler for your dog either.  Has been linked to allergy issues in dogs and possibly causes liver problems as well.  

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity) has been linked to liver problems and is being progressively removed from the better quality dog foods, per the dog food analysis website.

Rachael Rays Nutrish Chicken and Veggies- Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Tomatoes, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid.

So normally I would say that the first two ingredients were good and that since we have Chicken and then Chicken Meal (chicken with the water and fat taken out) we could have some confidence about the amount of meat in the dog food. But since we know that the total chicken percentage isn't higher than 24%, that confidence is gone. On top of that when we factor in that "chicken" is 70-80% water, our confidence goes down even further. If you do the math, the highest the percentage of chicken could be is about 16%, and the vegetables are around 3 or 4%(Salt was above the individual vegetables on the ingredient list) Now lets take a look at the other ingredients in the list.

Brewers rice. Here is the definition that AAFCO gives us: "The small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice." This grain is already processed and is missing a lot of the nutrients that whole grain rice or brown rice have. Brewers rice is also much cheaper than whole rice and is used primarily as a filler.

Corn Meal. The majority of people believe that corn is a horrible grain that has no nutritional value and causes itchy skin, ear infections, and liver problems. While all these things have happened because of corn, and it has been shown to be one of the major allergens to dogs, it is wrong for us to assume that corn WILL cause these problems for your dog. But just to be safe, i usually stay away from products with corn.

Soybean meal is defined as," The product obtained by grinding the flakes which remain after removal of most of the oil from soybeans by a solvent or mechanical extraction process." "This is a poor quality protein filler used to boost the protein content of low quality pet foods
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe no gas, but that food is junk.  You might as well buy dog chow.   I will post up the info I read awhile back if I can find it.  But it wasn't good.

ETA- Not the review I read previously, but it hits on some of the major ingredient issues with the Nutrish food-  In addition to what is on here, dried beet pulp is not a good filler for your dog either.  Has been linked to allergy issues in dogs and possibly causes liver problems as well.  

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity) has been linked to liver problems and is being progressively removed from the better quality dog foods, per the dog food analysis website.

Rachael Rays Nutrish Chicken and Veggies- Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Tomatoes, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid.

So normally I would say that the first two ingredients were good and that since we have Chicken and then Chicken Meal (chicken with the water and fat taken out) we could have some confidence about the amount of meat in the dog food. But since we know that the total chicken percentage isn't higher than 24%, that confidence is gone. On top of that when we factor in that "chicken" is 70-80% water, our confidence goes down even further. If you do the math, the highest the percentage of chicken could be is about 16%, and the vegetables are around 3 or 4%(Salt was above the individual vegetables on the ingredient list) Now lets take a look at the other ingredients in the list.

Brewers rice. Here is the definition that AAFCO gives us: "The small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice." This grain is already processed and is missing a lot of the nutrients that whole grain rice or brown rice have. Brewers rice is also much cheaper than whole rice and is used primarily as a filler.

Corn Meal. The majority of people believe that corn is a horrible grain that has no nutritional value and causes itchy skin, ear infections, and liver problems. While all these things have happened because of corn, and it has been shown to be one of the major allergens to dogs, it is wrong for us to assume that corn WILL cause these problems for your dog. But just to be safe, i usually stay away from products with corn.

Soybean meal is defined as," The product obtained by grinding the flakes which remain after removal of most of the oil from soybeans by a solvent or mechanical extraction process." "This is a poor quality protein filler used to boost the protein content of low quality pet foods

that sounds like a review for nutro ans science diet also - choices are limited especially for my large breed senior dog.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]
@M4md

Thanks for the heads up.. shows you that I should do more research on that Rachel Ray food.   I should have known that bitch couldn't be trusted..
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#23]
and i noticed since i started giving my dog innova biscuits/treats last week his poop is runny instead of solids

i need to switch back - i guess my old dog's body doesn't do well with their products
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#24]
You have to find what works for your particular dog, but Taste of the wild is another good choice that you should be able to find at most pet stores.  And Innova has several different lines that are all good foods.  You could also look into Orijen as well.  All of these are highly rated dog foods that don't contain alot of fillers and potentially harmful additives.  I was feeding Natural Choice for a long time until my dog got sick and I looked into his food being a potential cause.  It wasn't neccessarily the cause, but I was scared by alot of what I read.  All the grocery store brands and the majoriy of what they carry at petsmart and petco are really not good food for dogs.  Unfortuantely, the better foods are priced out of most peoples budgets.  If all else fails you could look into feeding raw, I've heard this can be done rather cheap and might work for some dogs.  Not sure about the ultra sensitive stomach of the OP dog though.

ETA- I give my dog milkbones all the way.  He loves them and I have never had a problem from giving them to him!  No reason to buy fancy Innova treats
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got a small bag of Royal Canin Aging 26 - we'll see how that goes
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#26]
If you ever wonder about your dog food, dogfoodanalysis.com is a great resource.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you ever wonder about your dog food, dogfoodanalysis.com is a great resource.  Good luck!

already way a head of you.

ETA: I switched from innova large breed senior because of VERY bad gas to royal canin aging care 26 large breed senior and it's been about a 80% reduction is farting
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I would never give commercial dog food to my dogs again. they are omnivores not dried out crap you would never feed yourself junk.
my boy gets people food, just like all those much healthier dogs of my youth got.
his favorite meal is blackened salmon with lemon sauce with capers, a side of asparagus and a nice Cesar salad
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you try the yogurt yet?

Glad to hear the switch worked somewhat with the royal canim.  I know some dogs have issues with Innova's EVO and with Taste of the Wild due to the high protein/meat content, but my younger dogs love Taste of the Wild.  They had gotten kind of tired of Canidae after awhile, and when Canidae started having supply line issues with my pet store in Georgia, I gave them the bird (the petstore did too and Canidae was their #1 seller haha).  Can't sell food if the manufacturer can't get it to ya I guess.  That's when I tried Evo and eventually went to Taste of the Wild due to it being very much EVO-like, without costing $65 a bag.

Anyway, hope he settles down with the royal canim.  I'd still try the yogurt to get rid of that last 20% of gas
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did you try the yogurt yet?

Glad to hear the switch worked somewhat with the royal canim.  I know some dogs have issues with Innova's EVO and with Taste of the Wild due to the high protein/meat content, but my younger dogs love Taste of the Wild.  They had gotten kind of tired of Canidae after awhile, and when Canidae started having supply line issues with my pet store in Georgia, I gave them the bird (the petstore did too and Canidae was their #1 seller haha).  Can't sell food if the manufacturer can't get it to ya I guess.  That's when I tried Evo and eventually went to Taste of the Wild due to it being very much EVO-like, without costing $65 a bag.

Anyway, hope he settles down with the royal canim.  I'd still try the yogurt to get rid of that last 20% of gas

any brand of yogurt you recommend? i assume just the plain stuff?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]

any brand of yogurt you recommend? i assume just the plain stuff?

Nah, no specific brand - just the plain low-fat unsweetened stuff.  Usually comes in big quart containers.  For a big dog, a tablespoon or two added to his food at mealtime should be plenty.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top