Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 5:16:43 AM EDT
Come spring I am thinking of gettinga cat. The main reason for this is if anyone recalls my mutt got bit by a copperhead this past fall. I know we have a huge chipmunk population and since I built a garden for the wife I have started seeing a few rabbits(and we know how they multiply).

This will be an outdoor cat only(access to my garage in cold weather). I am basically looking for a hunter and I do not need some exotic but I know nothing about cats. Would one from the ASPCA do this job or should I be looking for something specific. I live in south central PA, in a wooded area.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Come spring I am thinking of gettinga cat. The main reason for this is if anyone recalls my mutt got bit by a copperhead this past fall. I know we have a huge chipmunk population and since I built a garden for the wife I have started seeing a few rabbits(and we know how they multiply).

This will be an outdoor cat only(access to my garage in cold weather). I am basically looking for a hunter and I do not need some exotic but I know nothing about cats. Would one from the ASPCA do this job or should I be looking for something specific. I live in south central PA, in a wooded area.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

As a cat owner and lover my entire life, I'm not sure how to respond to this.  You can't guarantee that a cat is going to be a hunter.  Many are, but just as many have no interest.  I'd also be concerned that your cat would be prime bait for a larger predator, a coyote, fisher, etc.

My cats have always been pets.  Doesn't sound like that's what you want.  Maybe you could adopt a feral cat from a shelter.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Browning T-bolt 22 LR instead and set on your porch or in the garage to keep the rabbit/chipmunk/snake population in check. Keep the cat inside as a reloading or TV buddy.

I'd say most places are going to be hesitant to adopt out a cat only to have it spend most of it's time outside.  A large majority of cats available will have probably never been taught to properly hunt and could even by declawed by the time you would get to them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy a Browning T-bolt 22 LR instead and set on your porch or in the garage to keep the rabbit/chipmunk/snake population in check. Keep the cat inside as a reloading or TV buddy.

I'd say most places are going to be hesitant to adopt out a cat only to have it spend most of it's time outside.  A large majority of cats available will have probably never been taught to properly hunt and could even by declawed by the time you would get to them.

I am thinking along those lines as I just asked over in the suppressor forum about a bolt action .22. never really thought about the "taught to hunt" i was just thinking it was inherent. That is why I am asking, guess will do more thinking

thanks

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
crap had i known that another ARFCOMER was looking for a good outdoor cat to hunt I would have let you take one of the alley cats we captured and had fixed.

....we have kittens in our garage but I don't think they'd make for good hunters...we took them pretty young and they're more socialized then you're probably looking for
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top