Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:59 AM EDT
Hi everyone,

We have decided to finally get another girl. It has been almost a year since the passing of out little girl Lulu. Been VERY tough, but time to move on. Anyway, we know we want a female, has to be long haired (fluffy) and be medium sized.
Thinking about:
Austrailian Sheperd - might be too active
German Sheperd - larger than what we want, but for a GSD, I will always make an exception
Are there any other breeds I can research.
Must be calm, but energetic at the park. Must love water (this is more of a how they have been raised thing), alert and not a big barking breed.
basically a fun loving mid sized fluffy female dog.
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Some people think golden retrievers are large, but they really aren't much bigger than an australian.  Some are easily 100 lb dogs, but a lot are 60 -80.

I love australians, I've had several good ones, but goldens are my favorite dog by far.  

Lost of sheddding, but shaving in the summer cuts down on a lot of it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I like big dogs with easy going personalities....like great danes...like a big dumb dog that thinks he can curl up on you like a chiuaua..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found this to be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Will take a look.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people think golden retrievers are large, but they really aren't much bigger than an australian.  Some are easily 100 lb dogs, but a lot are 60 -80.

I love australians, I've had several good ones, but goldens are my favorite dog by far.  

Lost of sheddding, but shaving in the summer cuts down on a lot of it.
View Quote
Goldens are fantastic family dogs. I have #3 and #4 right now and while they are energetic dogs, they are also quite happy to lay around on the couch.
Most pleasant demeanor of just about any breed I have seen. We have a newborn in the house and both dogs have adjusted exceptionally well.

Yeah they shed, but less so than a GSD, and brushing can keep most of it at bay.
Love water, not terribly noisy, and most female GRs are in the 60-80 range. I have 2 males now (110# and 87#).

One thing I have noticed, the females tend to like to sort of hang out on their own. Both of my previous girls would find a nice quiet, out of the way place and sleep there. My two boys, want to be right there with you all of the time. The proverbial loyal dog at your feet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Golden Retriever for the win!

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Well guys, I picked out a pup this weekend. She is a German Shepherd. Went over to see some pups and out of all the pups we played with, a certain one kept coming back to us tp play, so my wife and I actually turned to each other and decided at the same time to pick her or she basically chose us. I would post pictures but can't figure out how since we can't use photobucket.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Was going to suggest a Swedish Vallhund, which sort of looks like a German Shepherd/corgi mix, but I see you already found a friend. So congrats on your new pup! Swedish Vallhunds are 35ish lbs, for reference.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top