Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/17/2017 7:42:29 PM EDT
I'm looking for a quality dog harness for a large golden retriever. Grayson is very large, around 98 pounds and is very strong with big shoulders. I tried a Kong harness at Pet's Mart and I like it especially since it has a control handle where I can hold him very tightly if there is traffic or someone approaching. That being said the largest size they had might be just a little snug on him. For people with larger dogs, is there a brand of harness you like? We have been using a collar on him but it's hard on him and he chokes himself, I also worry about him sliding out of it. If it had the handle it would be a plus but just a harness in general for some activities would be a big benefit.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a cheap front connect harness that works good for no pull, but it is cheap.  Getting ready to upgrade to Freedom Harness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
We're using this one with our Cane Corso/Pit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011OSYOBC?tag=vglnk-c102-20

We originally had a back-clip harness that our dude thought meant it was time to drag us around the field when we went on walks.  Once we switched to this one with the front clip, it was night and day and he was walking properly within a few days.  As a bonus, the rear clip is higher than others we've used, and works great with a short leash for a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Warning: soapbox lecture follows. Read ahead at your own risk

A harness will teach your dog nothing. If you simply want to restrain your dog, good luck to you. If you want to train your dog, then use a device that will allow training to occur.

The go-to device for big dogs that pull is the prong collar. These things are power steering for dogs. They allow you provide corrective stimulus that is very similar to what real dogs provide to each other in the real world. They allow one to use the least force and are therefore far safer and more humane than something that chokes your dog. Yes, they look medieval. So what?

Goldens, and Lab's, are responsible for winning more obedience competitions than any other breeds. Your Golden wants to please you. You just need to know how to communicate to him when he's doing it wrong, and when he's doing it right. Get a prong. Get a bait (treat) bag. Get some high quality training that shows you how and when to apply prong corrections (you don't simply pull continuously on a prong, that doesn't work either) or treat rewards (balanced training). You will be heeling everywhere on a loose lead in no time.

Taught my neighbor, and neighbor's Golden, how to do this in only 30 minutes (after the Golden pulled her over and broke her ankle. After years of thinking I was torturing my dog with a prong, she could not believe the difference, not only for herself, but for her dog, who became much happier now that communications were clearer.

Restraining is not training!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.all-about-german-shepherd-dog-breed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=16

super high quality 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I'll check out the suggestions. I guess I should add that he is very well behaved, he does not pull on walks or anything like that at all. He hikes freely off a leash and doesn't bother anyone. I just want something more secure around traffic or other times when he could get startled. I don't want to have to worry about him seeing a squirrel and slipping out of his collar and going into traffic or if he gets scared from a fire truck trying to slip out of the collar.

But I agree just restraining him better isn't great, luckily he is pretty well behaved and still working on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warning: soapbox lecture follows. Read ahead at your own risk

A harness will teach your dog nothing. If you simply want to restrain your dog, good luck to you. If you want to train your dog, then use a device that will allow training to occur.

The go-to device for big dogs that pull is the prong collar. These things are power steering for dogs. They allow you provide corrective stimulus that is very similar to what real dogs provide to each other in the real world. They allow one to use the least force and are therefore far safer and more humane than something that chokes your dog. Yes, they look medieval. So what?

Goldens, and Lab's, are responsible for winning more obedience competitions than any other breeds. Your Golden wants to please you. You just need to know how to communicate to him when he's doing it wrong, and when he's doing it right. Get a prong. Get a bait (treat) bag. Get some high quality training that shows you how and when to apply prong corrections (you don't simply pull continuously on a prong, that doesn't work either) or treat rewards (balanced training). You will be heeling everywhere on a loose lead in no time.

Taught my neighbor, and neighbor's Golden, how to do this in only 30 minutes (after the Golden pulled her over and broke her ankle. After years of thinking I was torturing my dog with a prong, she could not believe the difference, not only for herself, but for her dog, who became much happier now that communications were clearer.

Restraining is not training!
View Quote
He was an ok walker at first but did a lot of pulling. Got a prong type collar and he learned over the course of one walk to stop pulling and stay close. It worked great.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He was an ok walker at first but did a lot of pulling. Got a prong type collar and he learned over the course of one walk to stop pulling and stay close. It worked great.
View Quote
sounds like your typical, well behaved, Golden.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Our first Golden was 112 pounds and her neck was bigger than her head so we wanted a harness for the same reason I will look later for who made it when I get to the office
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top