Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 8:49:42 PM EDT
Going to check out a pair of Dorkie pups on Saturday for potential adoption. Any quirks of the breed or anything I should keep in mind when I go?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
First thing to remember: they are mixed breed dogs. They are likely irresponsibly bred, so unless the person is giving them away, walk away. The person is most likely looking to make a quick buck off their dogs' reproductive organs, nothing more, and will have done none of the things responsible breeders do.

Second thing: there is no such thing as hybrid vigor, at least not the way most unethical mix-a-mutt breeders try to sell it. The only health problems mixing breeds can help with fixing is a simple Mendelian double recessive trait that is present in only one of the breeds.

Third thing: if they are trying to place them prior to 8 weeks of age, walk away. Toy dogs should stay with their mama a bare minimum of 8 weeks, preferably 10-12 weeks

As for that particular mix, they'll probably be energetic and vocal. You'll probably have a long, drawn out house training process. It will shed, and it will need regular grooming. It may end up being anywhere between 5 and 25 pounds.

My bottom line recommendation is don't buy purposely bred mutts. If you want a mutt, go to an animal shelter and adopt one. I'm not saying that every breeder that breeds purebred dogs is responsible, but rather that virtually no mix-a-mutt breeder is responsible. Don't perpetuate their irresponsibility by paying them for it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First thing to remember: they are mixed breed dogs. They are likely irresponsibly bred, so unless the person is giving them away, walk away. The person is most likely looking to make a quick buck off their dogs' reproductive organs, nothing more, and will have done none of the things responsible breeders do.

Second thing: there is no such thing as hybrid vigor, at least not the way most unethical mix-a-mutt breeders try to sell it. The only health problems mixing breeds can help with fixing is a simple Mendelian double recessive trait that is present in only one of the breeds.

Third thing: if they are trying to place them prior to 8 weeks of age, walk away. Toy dogs should stay with their mama a bare minimum of 8 weeks, preferably 10-12 weeks

As for that particular mix, they'll probably be energetic and vocal. You'll probably have a long, drawn out house training process. It will shed, and it will need regular grooming. It may end up being anywhere between 5 and 25 pounds.

My bottom line recommendation is don't buy purposely bred mutts. If you want a mutt, go to an animal shelter and adopt one. I'm not saying that every breeder that breeds purebred dogs is responsible, but rather that virtually no mix-a-mutt breeder is responsible. Don't perpetuate their irresponsibility by paying them for it.
View Quote

But, but...Dorkies!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak to the yorkie portion, but Dachshunds are very vocal, very protective of their ground and notoriously hard to housebreak.
PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY is the only way to get them going to the bathroom outside regularly--I used a bell this last time and it worked wonders.

Also be aware that Dachshunds as a whole are prone to back issues, so you will want to keep this dog from doing a lot of jumping, or climbing stairs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
No one would breed that on purpose, would they?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they do. Part of the current mix-a-mutt craze that has people crossing little breeds up left, right, and center and slapping a cutsie name on the offspring to make a quick buck. There is not thought process or goal beyond "this can make money!"
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, they do. Part of the current mix-a-mutt craze that has people crossing little breeds up left, right, and center and slapping a cutsie name on the offspring to make a quick buck. There is not thought process or goal beyond "this can make money!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the "designer mutt" idiocy, but not that particular cross. My rescue chi is ugly enough, I can't see paying money for something homelier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice everyone.  
After sleeping on it, and a lot more discussion with the family, we think were going to pass this time.
Kinda feels sad, but it sure beats making a  bad choice.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#8]
While all dog breeds were theoretically designer at one point in their existence, I don't get this cross breed... you're breeding two small breed dogs, both with some pretty significant structural issues, and hoping to get what? A long bodied, short haired yorkie? Get a fucking Havanese then.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

While all dog breeds were theoretically designer at one point in their existence, I don't get this cross breed... you're breeding two small breed dogs, both with some pretty significant structural issues, and hoping to get what? A long bodied, short haired yorkie? Get a fucking Havanese then.
View Quote
I would argue with the idea that all dog breeds were 'designer', partly because it implies that designer dogs are 'breeds' and they are not.

Designer indicates Breed A x Breed B = (Cutsie name) AB, and when more ABs are wanted, generally they go back to Breed A and Breed B.

Some people have developed new breeds by purposely crossing Breed A with Breed B, but they take the progeny and breed and breed until there is Breed C.

No designer dog is a breed, it's just a mix.  It's kind of sad, really.  There are a few designer mixes that I think would make good new breeds.  The 'puggle' for instance.  Pug X Beagle.  The Pug has a great mentality and personality for a dog that is going to be just a companion dog, especially an urban companion dog, but the Bug Eyes get damaged easily, and the short snout screws up their breathing, causes snoring, limits their activity, and can cause death.  Beagles are a great size and great dog, but they can be a big barkey, and will blindly follow their nose.   Breeding a longer faced proper eyed pug-like companion dog by breeding in the beagle's face and body structure but going with pug 'personality' would be a real winner of a companion breed.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice everyone.  
After sleeping on it, and a lot more discussion with the family, we think were going to pass this time.
Kinda feels sad, but it sure beats making a  bad choice.

Thanks again!
View Quote

Good choice. Incidentally, we may be able to help you pick out the perfect breed for you and even find a decent breeder in your area.

You were considering a dachshund/yorkie mix, but why? What traits do you want in a dog? I'm assuming you want small, given the choice of mix. How much grooming are you looking to do? Do you want energetic or calm?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Dorkie...such a great name.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dorkie...such a great name.
View Quote
and everyone who intentionally breeds Dorkies should have to get Dorkie tattooed on their forehead

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top