Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 11/24/2013 3:13:26 PM EDT
Our cat is approximately one year old and is liking in the same spots until they become open sores and the hair on those spots goes bald.

We first noticed it several months ago and the vet couldn't really tell what it was. She suggested an allergy, stress/compulsion, or a tumor (based on the area- the inside of both back legs). We recently changed her litter, because the new one was cheaper, so thought the new litter could be the problem. We changed out the litter, gave her some antibiotics, and the "hood of shame." it was getting a little better, but not much and it certainly was not getting worse. I tried to monitor the spots and keep an eye on them and they persisted but didnt get worse.

we went on vacation for four days and when we got back I noticed more lick spots in different areas, on her back leg, front leg, and chest, in addition to the ones on the inside of her back legs. We have been home all weekend and they seem to be better when we are home, making me think they are some kind of separation anxiety. We are planing on taking her to the vet but I thought someone might have experienced this before and have some ideas.  

I know this is a cat, but she acts more like a dog and is very social/people oriented. She will follow me around the house and is very attached to my wife and I, unlike most cats ive had/met. she will also drink out of toilets left open and play fetch with me.

I am also thinking about getting a fish tank, just to give her something to watch/play with, but deep enough that she cant get the fish.

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen this happen with dogs.  

There is something you can get to put on the spot.

I don't recall what its called, but its basically a dropper vile, [think visine bottle] that contains an extremely bitter liquid that you drop on the affected areas to deter your pet from licking themselves raw.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the cat have fleas? If the cat is allergic to fleas, they can do this.

You could rub a product called Hot Spot on it. It looks like a bar of deodorant, and you rub it on any spots that are being licked like you described. I think it helps deter the animal from licking by having a bad taste, plus I think it has medicine in it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses. Now that you've mentioned it, i have seen that with a family friend's dog.

I dont think its fleas because we havent been itching yet and its been a while.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Seasonal allergies?

My female cat licks her stomach hairless at times - also scratches above her eyes until they bleed sometimes....

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top