Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:44:00 AM EDT
I have a 5 year old Australian Shepherd Blue heeler. She is over weight by 15 pounds. She went to the vet two weeks ago and weighed 57 and then this week she has gained 4 pounds.

I honestly don't know what to do, we have cut her wet to half a can a day, and then she is eating diet dry. Now I do have to say that I have allowed her to have what ever she

wanted, due to the fact that 3 years ago we adopted her from the shelter. If anyone has any ideas on how to help me it would be appreicated.

Thanks..

This pic is 2 years old...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an overweight dog who was a free eater.
Then I got a second dog and pack mentality came into play and I had to go to twice a day feedings. My dogs eat morning and evening and 1) due to age is rather sedate and 2) is sedate because if I don't crate her during the  day she still shits, pisses and gets into things. I simply cut back on the quantity of food I give them.

A second dog playmate might be of help as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Less food.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
less food and why are you bothering with the wet shit?

i feed my dogs dry food only with an occational treat or chew. sounds like your over feeding the dog with rich wet food and not giving her enough exercise.

there's always a chance she has a thyroid problem as well....dogs have health issues just like we do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My husband and I run her around the back yard, play with her, and walk her everyday as long as its not raining (due she has an ear infection right now).

Maybe I should cut out her wet...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Science Diet RD, by prescription only, in measured portions,no canned food.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
ok...i will look into that...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Pics of husband?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My husband and I run her around the back yard, play with her, and walk her everyday as long as its not raining (due she has an ear infection right now).

Maybe I should cut out her wet...

Rather than chase around types of food, take a look at how many calories she's getting in a day.  The manufacturer of your food should provide caloric information on their food, otherwise, ditch them FAST.

Once you know how many calories she's getting, take that down by 10% or so, and try that caloric level for a month, and see how she does.  Continue to reduce as necessary.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The brand of food or rather the ingredients can cause animals to retain weight.  Our Lab went from 96lbs to 89lbs and eats a larger portion than he did before.  Heelers are known for being a higher energy canine and may need more protein.

Check into Diamond or Blue Buffalo type foods.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top