Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 6/23/2011 2:20:35 PM EDT
what are some good breeds that get along well with min pins? looking for a dog under 75 pounds max (we live in an apt).

my Maxx is pretty anti social towards EVERYBODY on the planet, until he gets to hang out with them in our house. around the house tho he is the laziest sack of shit on earth, literally sleeps all day.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
any is a good choise. You are the pack leader. I myself have 2 sheperds and a bull dog that thinks it is a sheperd. All came at different times. at first none got along,now best friends. good luck . Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lets narrow down the field some.

How much time do you have to dedicate to exercise and training on a daily basis? my wife works half the day usually and i am in college, so one of us is always usually home.

Do you mind shedding? Long hair or short? as stated above i have a min pin and while he sheds a little it isnt noticable in the house, only if he starts freaking out like at the vet. so im used to that and would like to keep shedding to a minimum, and i guess shorter hair would be good.

Do you want a protective dog, an active dog, an outgoing dog, a reserved dog? i suppose a more reserved dog, more apt to chill with me on the couch.

Do you want a dog who is easily trained or can you put in a little more time for a more difficult breed? i would like easily trained but we can put the extra effort in, we raised Maxx from a pup as well as a pug named Zoey that we trained and housebroke before giving her to my parents as a gift.

Do you want another breed that has surgical ear cropping or would you rather a different look? i think me and the wife would like a floppy eared dog for a change but its not as important.

Do you have kids? no.

Do you rent? yes, a 2 bedroom apt.

Do you have a fenced yard? no, but lots of grass at our apartment to run around on a leash.

Do you or anyone in your house have allergies to pet dander? no.

Do you mind a dog who is more vocal or one that is fairly quiet? fairly quiet, Maxx barks at anyone who speaks in the hallway or opens another door in our complex.

Do you have activities you would like to do with the dog? not in particular, it would be nice to have a dog that i could train to stay with me and play outside without a leash and be able to play fetch. (maxx cant grasp the concept of fetch, and everytime he he gets off his leash he runs as far away as possible until he tires out and has to poop. thats how ive always caught him. his wierd body shape makes leash picking a PITA).

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do don't get a Beagle, I have one and he's great but they are certainly not apartment dogs.

On the other hand, I have a Manchester Terrier mix from the pound. He is very relaxed, obedient, and intelligent. He would probably make a great apartment dog.  *Interesting note, pure breed Manchester Terriers often get confused with Min-Pins.

For reference, here is Trooper. He is about 30lbs.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
HES SO CUTE!

hmm i didnt know about that breed. ill have to look into that.

other breeds being considered between the wife and i are puggle, boston terrier, another min pin, and a corgi. anyone have any input on those?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My recommendations based on your criteria would be:

Smooth coated Standard or Miniature Dachshund
French Bulldog
Manchester Terrier

I would avoid any of the smaller herding or hounds simple because they tend to be more vocal and in an apartment that can be problematic as people come and go.

ooo a french bulldog! like the one in the movie Due Date.

since i have a male already is it better to get another male or female? im guessing a female?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top