Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 10/23/2010 4:20:18 PM EDT

Cat novice here with a few questions!

The wife wants me to buy more flea medicine for the cats (we have 2 of average size).   The problem is that i don't remember what kind I bought or where I bought it online.

Is there any kind that is best/worst, and where is the best place to buy it?    Do indoor cats need flea medicine this time of the year?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Indoor only: Frontline.

Indoor/outdoor: Frontline plus a good flea/tick collar.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I just tried this stuff and it works awesome! As soon as I sprayed it on my dogs and cats I literally saw the fleas die and fall off instantly. Its all natural and non toxic

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/catalog/item/3571008/5094558.htm
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The cedarcide looks interesting. I've been concerned about the "spot-on" treatments, and discussed this with the veterinarians. FWIW, they said the problems have been mainly with the over the counter/non-prescription spot treatments.

I used Advantage on my dearly departed cat for probably 15 years w/o problems. He lived to be 21.

I now use Revolution, which is simvermectin, on my two 3-year old cats. It is a prescription anti-parasitic medication given as a spot-on treatment once a month. It kills fleas, as well as most intestinal parasites and ear mites. My cats have had no apparent ill effects from it.

I will give the cedarcide a look, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
tagged. my mother claims to have been bitten by fleas while visiting my house. Never mind the fact that neither I, nor my wife have been bitten, and we live here...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
1800PetMeds
Get Program Tablets & Capstar. The Program Tablets are given once a month and will stop flea eggs from hatching. Capstar will kill 90% of adult fleas with in 6 hours. Also vacuum, vacuum, vacuum to remove flea eggs and dirt. I usually use a flea comb (put fleas, eggs,&  dirt in soapy water), but that won't take care of all of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1800PetMeds
Get Program Tablets & Capstar. The Program Tablets are given once a month and will stop flea eggs from hatching. Capstar will kill 90% of adult fleas with in 6 hours. Also vacuum, vacuum, vacuum to remove flea eggs and dirt. I usually use a flea comb (put fleas, eggs,&  dirt in soapy water), but that won't take care of all of them.

This.  And bug bomb the house to kill the fleas/eggs in nooks and crannies that you can't reach with the vacuum.  Flea traps are supposed to work too (basically a light over a sticky pad)

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
We've used the large dog Frontline on our cats, but of course dosed it way down. It is just cheaper to buy it that way, as you'll pay a lot per dosage for the cat specific medicine.
Some may tell you that you can't interchange cat and dog flea medicine, but I don't believe it, to be honest.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using Revolution for a year now.    I generally don't have a flea issue because my thugs are indoors.    I like to keep them dosed up because I do get an occassional escape.   Nothing like herding cats in spring.  

Revolution® (selamectin)  for Cats:

Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

I buy it from the Petshed.com  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top