Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:35:15 PM EDT
So here is my situation. I have a 1 year old shiba inu, and she is a riot. At home she is well behaved, and sleeps rather well. We have a routine and it seems to work other than the occasional midnight potty break. I love taking her up to our cabin because she gets a ton of outdoor time and exercise. The problem is when we go up there, the rest of my family brings their dogs, she gets along with them, but wants to play! I mean always wants to play, and as such she keeps me up allnight due to lack of sleep and her barking wanting to go out and play. She just doesnt calmn down and relax. Is there anything I can give her to calmn her down? i plan on speaking to a vet about it, I would hate to have to leave her home when we go up there because it so much fun to have her there, but she keeps everyone awake!

Here she is:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No advice for you but awesome looking dog!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You will probably have to wait it out. Some dogs are just high strung for the first few years. Do you try to wear her out during the day?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I am against medicating your dog to calm it down that is unless they need to be transported by plane and/or other critical events.

If it were my dog I would spend more time socializing her at dog parks or other places where she can meet other canines.  As she matures these experiences will give her confidence.  At the same time teach her commands that will teach her to curb her wild behavior.

Keep us informed how she improves.

FB
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah we wear her out! 2 walks a day, and we have puzzle toys that wear out her brain, she is so damn smart! She is great at home, plays with other dogs really well and is solid with kids. Overall a great dog, just doesn't like to sleep at our cabin. I am probably going to have to just wait it out

Her as a puppy:

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top