Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 9/11/2009 11:20:31 PM EDT
Monster Hunter International, Written by Larry Correia. Very good book so far. And just you luck the first (full) 7 chapters are online for preview! linky

The best part about this book is the fact that the author is a fellow gun nut enthusiast & wrote it while minding the 4 rules and discussing things like "printing" and other terms gunnies relate to.

the authors facebook fan page
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
He is also an arfcommer.

That was a great book and included blading and fucktard and a few other things.

Lots of gunfights and guns.

I think I'll go read it again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
hehe, I should of figured he was an arfcommer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I read that for the first time just recently.  Excellent book.  Damn shame he doesn't have a sequel or four to it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read that for the first time just recently.  Excellent book.  Damn shame he doesn't have a sequel or four to it!

The way it ended, I was sure there was to be a sequel. I believe it was only published a few months ago, so I am hoping.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way it ended, I was sure there was to be a sequel. I believe it was only published a few months ago, so I am hoping.

I wonder why it's set in 2001 if it was just printed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why it's set in 2001 if it was just printed?

Good question. ? Baen has the publish date as 8/2009

His website is a little strange too. Some indications of the book at an earlier date, but no publish date, then Aug/sept 09 posts about people reading it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What screen name does he go by?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
He does have a sequel planned already and is mostly done from what he said during an interview on Gun nuts radio.

Also... I'm not 100% sure about the time lapse of the publishing date and the time period it's wrote in. I do know he tried to publish the book himself and then was picked up by Baen. So maybe that took a while?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What screen name does he go by?

He goes by correia, IIRC.
I think he spends more time at TFL and THR.us than he does here.

He had a thread going about the book just before it came out, but I think its in the pre-archive limbo zone now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on it being a good read.  Highly advised for anyone who hasn't read it yet.  I started reading it and couldn't stop.  Not a problem on smaller pulp books, but ~700 pages...well, you get your money's worth and then some.  

+1 on waiting for the sequel(s).
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys.  Someone gave me a heads up about this on Facebook.  I don't make it over to Arfcom as much as I used to, just busy mostly.

I am glad you liked it. :)

#2 is called Monster Hunter Vendetta. It comes out Fall 2010 from Baen.

The weirdness on the dates is kind of a long story. I originally had the idea for the book in 2001, so that's why the date was set there.  Nothing really happend with it for a few years while I was busy with life. The book was actually written and finished in 2005.  It only took about 6 months to write. Then it took about 2 years of getting rejected by every publishing house and literary agency in the business for me to finally get really frustrated and print it myself.  Basically, I knew there was an audience who would really like this book, and shell out money for it, but the publishers didn't see it that way, but then again, they all mostly live in New York City.

In early 2008 the self-published, print-on-demand edition of Monster Hunter International was released. It did shockingly good, especially for a self published book.  It got onto the Entertainment Weekly bestseller list in April 2008.  A large independant bookstore, (Uncle Hugos) was selling the heck out of it, and the boss there contacted the publisher at Baen. She took a look, and made me an offer.  The POD version was discontinued. The Summer 2009 edition is the version from Baen.

Within one month of release, the little gun-forum inspired book that could, had completely sold out at the publisher and is now being reprinted.  Amazon is out. B&N placed a huge restocking order. It has done extremely well. I just sold two more books to Baen.  The first is the sequel, MHV, and the second is an as of yet undecided property. I've got another series (alternative-history/fantasy) that I think you guys will love, and I'm hoping they pick that up too.  Then I've got a thriller series based upon a serial that I did on THR, that should see the light of day, fingers crossed, in 2010.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the heads-up, Larry!  Congrats on the book, it's a great read.  I look forward to the sequel.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top