Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 3/2/2009 6:28:29 AM EDT
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.  Does anyone own this and if so do you think it is worth the cost?
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My sister got one 2 days ago.  She loves it so far.  The "ink" technology is cool.  It some how layers the "ink" so that when you are reading a page it doesn't use battery power.  Reading it is like looking at one of those brand new electronic devices that has the sticker over the screen with printing on it.  It is not like reading on a computer screen.

ETA: The only down side is that it is not back lit. or does not have any lighting system.  My sister told me that you can buy a clip on light for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to try one out before I shell out that kind of cash. But one thing is that I like to have the actual physical books on my shelf.

Maybe if they add a ballistic calculator to it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe if they add a ballistic calculator to it.

Hell, even the iphone/ipod touch has one now
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I broke down and bought one.  Pretty neat.  To bad more of my favorite type of book (military SF fiction or alternate history) is not on kindle yet.
About the books on shelves comment, my shelves are getting pretty full.  I like to reread books after a couple of years so I never get rid of them
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I broke down and bought one.  Pretty neat.  To bad more of my favorite type of book (military SF fiction or alternate history) is not on kindle yet.
About the books on shelves comment, my shelves are getting pretty full.  I like to reread books after a couple of years so I never get rid of them

Baen books does a crapload of military SF. They don't sell kindle editions through amazon, but you can buy directly through baen.com, and they even have an 'email to my kindle' option for ebook purchases. They also have a great 'free library' section that's kindle compatible.

I've had my kindle for a bit over a month now, and absolutely love it. As far as having books on the shelves, I'll trade that for having my library with me where ever I go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for info on Baen, I will try that today.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top