Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2010 7:39:27 AM EDT
He has a co-author listed, but it is following the same vein of talking through minute details to set a hundred characters setting up the plot.

He has continued the story line combining Ryan,Jr, Clark, Ding and cast trying to save us from the extremist Islamic terrorists. Old supporting cast show up, I keep thinking Portagee may even show.

I stayed up until 3:30 this morning turning pages, I just could not put it down. I am little over half of the 848 pages down.

I think he is not matching the quality of Rainbow 6 and my all time favorite, Red Storm, but I do still enjoy his books.

What are your thoughts on this if you have read or in process of reading Dead or Alive.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Alive-Jack-Ryan-Clancy/dp/0399157239
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm. 848 pages. Let me guess, things don't really get going until page 700 or so, right?

I used to be a big Clancy fan, but his books are just too damn long with too much setup time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I'll have a copy in my Christmas stocking for sure. I had forgotten about Red Storm Rising and my have to dig it up and give it anther read.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's next on my To Read list, but at the moment I am about 30% through The Count of Monte Cristo, so it will be a while

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally got caught up on my Jack Ryan novels. I just finished Executive orders and I read Teeth of the tiger when it first came out. It does seem to have the same build up as all the other novels (Rainbow six being my favorite) but the endings are always awesome.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmm. 848 pages. Let me guess, things don't really get going until page 700 or so, right?

I used to be a big Clancy fan, but his books are just too damn long with too much setup time.

This was always my biggest issue with Clancy novels. They are so damn long and take forever for the plot to develop. He's an awesome writer and his detail is amazing but he's a little too wordy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was always my biggest issue with Clancy novels. They are so damn long and take forever for the plot to develop. He's an awesome writer and his detail is amazing but he's a little too wordy.

I like that he does that.

I loved Teeth, but it was way, WAY too short. TC books are supposed to be at least 800 pages, and this book meets that spec. Reading it now, and loving it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm about 40% through it and only now is it getting interesting.  I was about to stop reading until they introduced Clark and Domingo.  I'm not real fond of the Jack jr and cousins characters.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Long time Clancy fan here, but I was a little disappointed when I picked it up to thumb through it and realized it was double-spaced and the margins had to be at least 2" on each side! LOL!  This book could've been condensed to about 300 pages.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that he does that.

I loved Teeth, but it was way, WAY too short. TC books are supposed to be at least 800 pages, and this book meets that spec. Reading it now, and loving it.

+1 with the length, all my books need to be this way. the more detail the better

Link Posted: 12/25/2010 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked it up last week but haven't started it yet. I noticed I do have Teeth of the Tiger but really can't remember if I read it or not.

I'm about half way through The Cobra by Frederick Forsyth. My first favorite author.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
200 pgs in and not the least bit boring
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Long time Clancy fan here, but I was a little disappointed when I picked it up to thumb through it and realized it was double-spaced and the margins had to be at least 2" on each side! LOL!  This book could've been condensed to about 300 pages.

I finally got to scan through it in the store and laughed when I noticed they did that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Finished it in 36 hours. Was pretty good, by far not his best but it was good!

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Finished it about a week ago, gets better in the middle and end.  It's nowhere near as good as his earlier books and is probably just a building block for upcoming novels.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I finished it the other day. It was pretty good, and there is definitely plenty of opportunity for sequels.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm just about to start it tonight.  Wow, 950 pages, huh?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Finished it last night. Not his best, but still very good. Just glad he's back, hopefully it won't be as long between his next work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't like this one much at all.  It needed an editor to take out about 500 pages.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was pretty good, about average for a clancy work.  The poster above was right on about the margins and text size, could have been a much smaller book.

I read it in 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I skipped playing Black Ops the last couple of nights to read this.  Finished it tonight.  I enjoyed it, although I dislike the 750 pages of lead-in and a very short "tie it all together and end it" end to it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top