Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 5:12:49 PM EDT
I finished this a bit earlier this week as I found myself with a bit of free time in between scoring gigs. Obviously, if you're not into Celtic music it will seem a bit, well, gay

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that kind of music. Flogging Molly is one of my favorite bands. I can play a handful of songs on the mandolin.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a Sindt?

I'm a bit of a whistle and flute player :

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I played guitar in a band that played traditional Irish songs and
originals in the Pogues/Flogging Molly style for about 13 years.  Always preferred the
traditional stuff. You did a great job with that one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a Sindt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVyrQoamuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6YqoJfM38

View Quote

I love seeing masculine dudes playing woodwinds! You are awesome!

I enjoy celtic music. I am a classically trained cellist (it was my first major in college and its currently my second career) and I like to noodle around with celtic stuff on occasion. Fun stuff!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Celtic Woman.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is that a Sindt?

View Quote

Holy crap, that's pretty legit man. You've definitely got the ornamentations down (and the musicianship--you know what I mean--is just there.). That's what 99% of folks struggle with I think.

Obviously, I was doing some fairly "non-trad" stuff in this piece, but most of the gigs I get on whistle are in the realm of film score (of course, I write quite a few parts for myself in my own scores...naturally ). So 99% of the time, I'm not called on to do super traditional stuff.

Seriously though, that's some serious whistle playing. If you ever want to write a tune, send it to me and I can see about orchestrating it and marketing it to some of the music libraries I work with.

Oh, and heck yes. That is a Sindt. I freaking love that whistle. I had the immense pleasure of playing at a session with Mr. Sindt. I was totally geeking out. That Copeland sounds pretty nice though. I've never gotten a chance to play one myself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Holy crap, that's pretty legit man. You've definitely got the ornamentations down (and the musicianship--you know what I mean--is just there.). That's what 99% of folks struggle with I think.
Obviously, I was doing some fairly "non-trad" stuff in this piece, but most of the gigs I get on whistle are in the realm of film score (of course, I write quite a few parts for myself in my own scores...naturally ). So 99% of the time, I'm not called on to do super traditional stuff.
Seriously though, that's some serious whistle playing. If you ever want to write a tune, send it to me and I can see about orchestrating it and marketing it to some of the music libraries I work with.
Oh, and heck yes. That is a Sindt. I freaking love that whistle. I had the immense pleasure of playing at a session with Mr. Sindt. I was totally geeking out. That Copeland sounds pretty nice though. I've never gotten a chance to play one myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a Sindt?

Thanks, I feel like I'm more a session hacker than anything else though.  I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend time learning from John Skelton at the Riley School of Irish Music in Cincinnati.  Since I moved to Dayton, and have gotten really involved with shooting 3-Gun and USPSA, I just don't have the time to play that I used to.  I have zero time for flute playing, but still pick up a whistle now and then.  I still can't keep time to save my life though.

You're playing is nice.  If you want to get more into the trad scene, you should check out Swannanoa's Celtic Week (in North Carolina) or Augusta Heritage Center's Irish Week (in WVa).  They're both a week of courses on just about every instrument found in Irish Traditional Music, at all skill levels - taught by the biggest names out there - John Skelton, Kevin Crawford, Martin Hayes, John Doyle and on and on.  Also have a look out for sessions in your area.  If you're looking for tunes, you can check out the Riley School website.  They have tunes posted going back years.

I've had the Copeland for going on 20 years.  It's one from before her started numbering them and it plays different to the newer ones (although Copeland has semi-retired from whistle making now).  Better, I think - although not as good as some of the real early ones.  The Sindts are real nice.  I know Skelton loves them.  I think I heard that Mary Bergin is playing one these days too.

Links:

ETA;  I have no gift for writing tunes.  Fortunately, as long as Brian Finnegan lives, I don't have to.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
My youngest brother plays recorder..He and some other musicians cut a CD of their music;it's renaissance period.

not the same as Celtic,I know........
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I enjoy celtic music. I am a classically trained cellist (it was my first major in college and its currently my second career) and I like to noodle around with celtic stuff on occasion. Fun stuff!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a Sindt?

Thanks!  I had to chuckle at being called a "masculine dude".  One of my female coworkers once called me "the gayest straight-man" she's ever known.  

The flute in ITM is really sort of a "manly" instrument.  There aren't nearly as many women who play as there are men (although there are some great female flute players).

Skelton once said to me that the whistle is nice enough, but the flute has balls.  Particularly some of the styles of playing (check out the program Canuinti Ceoil, which is on youtube, if you're interested in learning about regional styles in irish music) which are very rhythm-driven & pulsating - with lots of "barking" of the flute and such. Guys like Conal O'Grada, Harry Bradley and John Skelton are my music heroes.  For example:

The very best irish flute player in the world, IMO though, is Mike McGoldrick:

...and you do find cellos in ITM occasionally (I just love Muireann Nic Amhloibh, she's adorable):

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
One more of mine on my favorite whistle - my Burke low f (it's tactical!...the tune starts about 21 seconds in if you want to skip my silly nonsense):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top