Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:44:10 PM EDT
I have been wanting to learn to play for a while, happened to stop into Guitar World this weekend while the wife shopped next door and something followed me home...  

So what is a good book/DVD set to learn with?  I haven't played anything since middle school.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It somewhat depends upon what style of music you enjoy, Broken.

What are you interested in playing?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It somewhat depends upon what style of music you enjoy, Broken.

What are you interested in playing?

My tastes lean more towards the rock/classic rock side of things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've gotten a lot done in a year just from youtube and vanderbilly.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget to learn how to play Iron Man & Smoke On The Water, they're like some sort of guitar player's rite of passage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't forget to learn how to play Iron Man & Smoke On The Water, they're like some sort of guitar player's rite of passage.

Well, and Stairway to Heaven for those trips to the guitar store.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow, I don't think that will go over so well......

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow, I don't think that will go over so well......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1KqbDdmuE&feature=related

I played in a band that did that at a gig. We put up signs all around the venue that said "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!!". I played the first bit of Stairway and the singer grabbed my guitar and pointed at the sign next to the stage. "No stairway? Denied!"

OP - I still recommend a big book of AC/DC songs. It will teach you chords and how to do pentatonic rock n' roll/blues solos. Plus when you can play people's favorite classic rock songs, they immediately think you are a guitar God for some reason

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top