Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2009 3:59:11 PM EDT
On the left you can see an Antonov that apparently didn't make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN_mwn_NaM&feature=related
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would've thought that AN-2 could have taken off faster than the plane in the video.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My instructor told me of a private grass strip that is dog legged and has a significant slope that he flys out of every so often in NC.  He says that if you're landing up hill you need to add quite a bit of power so you can make it over the crest of the runway.  Don't know the name of it though.

I don't think I'd want to attempt a t/o where that video was taken.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would've thought that AN-2 could have taken off faster than the plane in the video.

I've seen airplanes like that that were just abandoned in place because they needed maintenance.

Airplane doesn't work?  Push it into othe bushes (or sand).
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And he had to land there first!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he had to land there first!

Yeah, thats the crazy part.

Our private strip crosses some little hills and slopes to the right a little, but I dont think Id like a curve where you had to use significant rudder to make. That just spells groundloop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The US Navy experimented with a large circular runway...the theory being that you would always land into the wind, and decelerate in a gentle turn.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did it have treadmill assist?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
<––––––––––––––––-This bad boy will land in 850 feet, on pavement....at max gross weight. I can fly it into all sorts of places that I wouldn't be able to leave. Regardless, even with a high wing, I don't think I'm brave enough to fly out from a road with a bend in it like that video!

/TCP
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They had a write up on that strip and a few others in Flying several months back. March 2008
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw the runway at the Just Aircraft factory.  It's a dirt slope going down the hill to a body of water.  

Land uphill, takeoff downhill.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
National Geographic did a few landing with these guys about merc pilots in the bush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top