Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2009 9:05:24 AM EDT
I'm looking for a light for my kneeboard, what do you guys use or recommend?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I use 3 different things, just depending on circumstances or my mood...

1.  Headlamp.  Until you fly with one you don't know hard they rock.  Get one that can flip up a Red filter for in-flight, and drop down to use the White light for pre-and-post flight tiedown activities.  Petzl has a dozen varieties which will do the job well.

2.  Lighted Pen.  Yep, they are kind of hokey, but they get the job done.

3.  Insight iSEE LED.  It's primarily marketed at Cops, but it works OK in the plane.  It is an LED light that slips in your shirt pocket, and shines down at your lap, though it is meant to shine at a ticket book or Driver's License held in front of you for Cops working at night.  I end up using this one a lot when I don't have a headlamp with me, or can't wear one for some reason.

I've tried somebody else's lighted kneeboard, the standard .mil model, and I didn't care for it.

Good Luck!

FluxPrism
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I can see how a headlamp would be convenient, but I can't use one.  I think the iSEE led looks promising though, will have

to look into that.  I was also told that the finger light is useful, but I'm not sure that I would like that strapped to my hand all the time.  

I know what you mean about the lighted kneeboards, not looking at one of those.  I had the standard .mil model, not a fan.  Just looking

for a good hands free way to light approach plates and such since the cockpit lights are dim when they do actually work.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to fly a lot of NVGs while on active duty.  Haven't used a lighted knee board since flight school back in 79.

What worked well for me was a finger light and a mike mounted lip light.

The clip light sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably should have titled this thread differently.  Now that I look at it again it does look like I'm looking for some type of

lighted kneeboard.  I'm happy with my kneeboard just looking at the available options as far as lights go.  I have friends that

fly with the mic light they seem to think its the way to go, but not having a mic rules that out.

I picked up a really cheap clip on light from the automotive section and like it enough that I think I may try one of the nicer ones.

Still up in the air on the finger light though.  Would you recomend it as a stand alone light without the mic light?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top