Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 9:29:00 PM EDT
Here's the deal guys.  I'm doing some research on my wife's Grandfather.  I have some records, enough to know that he was involved in a crash in Germany in 1946.  He was an Air Force pilot and passed on in 1955.  You all know of any websites where I can get some more information.  I'm looking specific information about this crash.

You guys are faster than Google.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont have any good websites to send you to, but a name and a aircraft type might be a good start. Would it have anything in his military file you could get?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope just medical, training, and personnel records.  I don't even know exactly where or when the crash occurred.  I figured if there was a blip in Stars and Stripes or some other publication about a severe aircraft crash around May of 46', then I could assume that was his aircraft.  

I'm trying to peal some of the fog away for his family, you wouldn't believe how excited they get about seemingly small facts about his career.  I saw a picture of him in front of a Beech 18 and identified the plane for them, none of them knew what he did in the Air Force other than that he was a pilot.  He died at 30 as a Captain and left a wife and 4 children behind, the youngest of which was months old, she is my Mother in Law.  

The crash evidently was a bad one.  He fractured 2 vertebrae and was in a body cast.  Initially he was treated in a hospital in Hungary, so I can also assume roughly where the accident occurred.  Who knows, maybe it was one of those "Oops our MiG thought you were the Germans coming again" type of incidents.

I don't mean to appear lazy by posting this.  My googlefu is weak and some guys dig doing this kind of stuff.  Plus I think it's a good way to honor his memory and my wife's family appreciates the effort.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
This should narrow it down some.   http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Year=1946

There are still a lot of details not available for some crashes.  From here you could do searches for the various registrations to see what turns up.

Looks like a C-47 was not the plane to be on back then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Boy, 46 was a bad year for DC3/C-47s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top