Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2008 12:40:25 PM EDT
Just thought I'd share

Just a half hour run.  Taxi down 8,000 feet then winds shift and had to taxi 8,000 feet back .  

Steady 70ish takeoff, just jumps off the runway.  

Up to 1,000ft, 100mph or so

head east along the Palmetto Parkway,

almost to the beach,

then another right and back to the airport and a smooth landing.

The rain you see was not a factor of any consequence.

Your typical 87million year old Cessna 172N 'trainer'

Taxiing.  Kept going back and forth (not too far) using the rudder pedals.  Had a bit of a crosswind.

Lining up for the landing at KOPF (27R)

I had my new, cool, aviator sunglasses on.  So obviously I clearly knew what I was doing

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pix. Welcome to the fraternity. Don't stop, either... keep right on going!
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice pix. Welcome to the fraternity. Don't stop, either... keep right on going!

Thanks!

I put a book on hold at the pub library, Jepp Private Pilot Training, and just picked it up today.  The book appears to be as old as the plane lol .  In the pilot shop its $80 for the newest version.  Reviews say it is much improved in terms of presentation of the material (after all Bernoullis will always be Bernoullis lol)
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you feel the need to be decked out in para-military type gear?

But more importantly...did it turn you on? Did you feel like "this is where I belong" I hope you did.

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you feel the need to be decked out in para-military type gear?

But more importantly...did it turn you on? Did you feel like "this is where I belong" I hope you did.

Not at all

I was very comfortable.  Last time (1988) at 15 with my whole 0.6hr and one landing it was just ok.

Much better this time, I'll be moving forward as funds permit long blocks of instruction (vs sporadic)
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding! Glad you had fun!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Check if a community college offers a ground school. If not, buy the Sporty's or American Flyers ground school program.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a copy of the Sporty's pilot shop Private course on DVD somewhere around here if you would like to borrow it. Oh, and I am at Patrick Air Force Base in Cocoa Beach, not Iowa for a bit.  

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a copy of the Sporty's pilot shop Private course on DVD somewhere around here if you would like to borrow it. Oh, and I am at Patrick Air Force Base in Cocoa Beach, not Iowa for a bit.  

Aviator

Love to borrow it, thanks .  I'll be driving to Jacksonville 4-19.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just for the record, that's not your typical 172N - that one is much nicer.  Totally redone panel, all new instruments, with probably 12 grand in nice new radios.  And it's not mustard yellow.  And it doesn't sit with one wing low.  That's about as nice as old trainers get.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just for the record, that's not your typical 172N - that one is much nicer.  Totally redone panel, all new instruments, with probably 12 grand in nice new radios.  And it's not mustard yellow.  And it doesn't sit with one wing low.  That's about as nice as old trainers get.

lol

I'll keep that in mind
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My training was in G and H models that used to be Air Force T-41s.  Those old girls had some hours on them.  One of the planes was so old that it didn't require a shoulder harness, only a lap belt.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a really nice 172.

By the way, go the faa.gov website and start reading this.  Its free.

Don't expect to understand 10% of it when you first read it.  You're just trying to put the ideas in your head, and correlate them when you fly.  When you fly, and you mate the monkey skills to book knowledge, things will connect.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont do it once you get the bug you cant get rid of it. Had a '75 172 just like that but it was green and it didnt have the fancy gizmos you got in there
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's a really nice 172.

By the way, go the faa.gov website and start reading this.  Its free.

Don't expect to understand 10% of it when you first read it.  You're just trying to put the ideas in your head, and correlate them when you fly.  When you fly, and you mate the monkey skills to book knowledge, things will connect.

Thanks, I started that last week

My engineering degree is carrying me through it quickly
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 One of the planes was so old that it didn't require a shoulder harness, only a lap belt.

Oh my God! Is that even safe?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One of the planes was so old that it didn't require a shoulder harness, only a lap belt.

powerplant = rubber bands?

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad you did it!

IM me your address, and I'll send you some books I have laying around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my God! Is that even safe?

Sure.  As long as you don't crash.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top