Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 2:22:16 PM EDT
I was supposed to go out to train today but the weather coming in from the GOM wasn't cooperating.

Forecast period:1100 to 1800 UTC 18 December 2016
Forecast type:FROM: standard forecast or significant change
Winds:from the SW (220 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)
Visibility:3 miles (5 km)
Ceiling:800 feet AGL
Clouds:overcast cloud deck at 800 feet AGL
Weather:BR VCTS  (mist, thunderstorm in vicinity)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a little better one....

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Clear (basically), Calm, and -18*C, you should have a heck of a performer on your hands.....IF YOU CAN STAND THE COLD!!!!

The other day I "LIED" to the passengers.  Going from Washington DC to Minneapolis, at 6:30 am in DC, the temp in MSP was -18*C. I converted that to "F" (appx 0*F), and said that it would "WARM UP" by the time we got there....

Just remember it's coldest right before dawn, and when we landed it was -22*C......BRRRRRRRR
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Clear (basically), Calm, and -18*C, you should have a heck of a performer on your hands.....IF YOU CAN STAND THE COLD!!!!

The other day I "LIED" to the passengers.  Going from Washington DC to Minneapolis, at 6:30 am in DC, the temp in MSP was -18*C. I converted that to "F" (appx 0*F), and said that it would "WARM UP" by the time we got there....

Just remember it's coldest right before dawn, and when we landed it was -22*C......BRRRRRRRR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-18....wow no thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Minus the thunderstorms that's Alaska VFR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm saying, good clouds, very clear and you'll be the only guy beating up the pattern (likely not at DEN, but I bet APA won't be as crazy)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
This was last year....but F that.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This was last year....but F that.  
View Quote

Do you bring a heated blanket in the cockpit with you?

That looks cold as hell.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
with wind chill it was -40...the temp where F and C meet.  Came from south FL to that...talk about wreaking havoc on your sinus'
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
with wind chill it was -40...the temp where F and C meet.  Came from south FL to that...talk about wreaking havoc on your sinus'
View Quote

damn....that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not fuck around in IMC knowingly with thunderstorms in the vicinity. Went through a buildup in IMC where there was no forecast or radar imagery for convective activity. And I didn't see any on my way to where I was going. It was terrifying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do not fuck around in IMC with thunderstorms in the vicinity.
View Quote

I am not sure why they had that in the metar, we didn't have any storms until the next day.

But...I agree with you...doesn't seem like a good idea.

We did get a bunch of PIREPs from the Helo guys flying in/out.....they said above the deck it was wonderful, but socked in everywhere else besides on top the air port.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top