Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 1:09:48 PM EDT
They had a Rockwell Commander 115, it was a 1998 I think, extremely nice plane and it seemed like the interior had tons of room. I never knew they existed before today.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is worthless without pics.

ETA From here

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1430799/2000-commander-115tc
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Roomy as hell, Slow as fuck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like the perfect time builder.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you don't want to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I saw, it seems like the newer ones were 150kt cruisers
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No, you don't want to buy one.
View Quote

Im not buying one, just saw how nice they were
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

150 knots cruise ain't bad for a factory plane, especially one with te shoulder room the Commanders have.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

150 knots cruise ain't bad for a factory plane, especially one with te shoulder room the Commanders have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet a new Turbo one would get close to 200kts at altitude.

What was cool about the Commander is it had a small biz jet persona about it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No- what it has is the TWIN Commander aura about it; not only did Bob Hoover use one in his acro routines, one was flown from KCMO to Washington DC with the left prop in the cabin.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No- what it has is the TWIN Commander aura about it; not only did Bob Hoover use one in his acro routines, one was flown from KCMO to Washington DC with the left prop in the cabin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw Bob Hoover perform his Shrike routine once.  Incredible show.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Never got to see Hoover in a Commander but I did see him in his Mustang. I was impressed that he made it to Reno this year. Dude has to be one million but I hope he keeps coming to the race forever. A God in aviation. As for taking off single engine the instructor I've had the last couple times at FSI would put me through this drill after all the checkboxes were filled. He would have me go from a cold and dark cockpit to airborne as fast as I could with imaginary artillery shells landing at MEM. A Citation Bravo Sim will takeoff single engine just fine from taxiway A parallel to RW 27 every day. Lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard about the twin commander, is it a bad ass airplane? Turbo Prop,
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a properly bad-ass pilot, yes.  

Example:

To be fair, Bob Hoover could probably fly a washing machine with equal results.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Example:

https://youtu.be/uhkmY3rELeY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[qote]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was cool about the Commander is it had a small biz jet persona about it.[/qote]

Example:

https://youtu.be/uhkmY3rELeY

damn...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Bob Hoover's routine is impressive every time, no matter how many times I see it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
We're getting odd topic, but a Twin Commander- any model- is my favorite twin. period.

I lost the left engine in a 680FP once and except for the adverse yaw, it was a non-event. I flew it 320 NM on one engine and landed without issue.

There are damn few turbine airplanes I would do that in and NO other piston twin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We're getting odd topic, but a Twin Commander- any model- is my favorite twin. period.

I lost the left engine in a 680FP once and except for the adverse yaw, it was a non-event. I flew it 320 NM on one engine and landed without issue.

There are damn few turbine airplanes I would do that in and NO other piston twin.
View Quote

that's impressive as hell. It seems like losing an engine on a normal piston twin sucks hard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's funny you say that. I puked the starboard engine in cruise flight in our family's Cessna 414 North of Des Moines B airspace and flew it the rest of the way to Ozark, MO. That's almost exactly 350 SM.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's funny you say that. I puked the starboard engine in cruise flight in our family's Cessna 414 North of Des Moines B airspace and flew it the rest of the way to Ozark, MO. That's almost exactly 350 SM.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like the TSIO-520?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've since sold that plane but they were great with the minor exception of that one time when an exhaust valve stuck open and was sheared off by the piston on a compression stroke. It's impressive how much damage occurs in seconds from a valve head rattling around in a cylinder while being beat to death by a functional piston. Normally this guarantees a need to rebuild the turbocharger along with the piston, cylinder/head, and a good portion of the exhaust manifold. We lucked out as the valve never shattered into chunks thus never left the cylinder. We simply replaced that one jug and everything else checked out fine. No further problems.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#21]
One of my favorite airplanes.  When I was learning to fly I used to tie down next to one a lot.  My instructor flew one for a corp customer and had a lot of great things to say about it.  IIRC there are some odd things when flown by a single pilot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2K2?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

2K2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2K2?

18MO

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Used to have one for our company plane.  Have since upgraded to a Citation
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Used to have one for our company plane.  Have since upgraded to a Citation
View Quote

Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitation!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We've since sold that plane but they were great with the minor exception of that one time when an exhaust valve stuck open and was sheared off by the piston on a compression stroke. It's impressive how much damage occurs in seconds from a valve head rattling around in a cylinder while being beat to death by a functional piston. Normally this guarantees a need to rebuild the turbocharger along with the piston, cylinder/head, and a good portion of the exhaust manifold. We lucked out as the valve never shattered into chunks thus never left the cylinder. We simply replaced that one jug and everything else checked out fine. No further problems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been entertaining the idea of purchasing a TSIO-520 powered Mooney Rocket 305 to replace my current IO360 powered model.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've been entertaining the idea of purchasing a TSIO-520 powered Mooney Rocket 305 to replace my current IO360 powered model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't heard anyone mention a Rocket (or a Missle) in a long time...

I flew a Rocket K252 at a Mooney fly-in a few years ago.  My wife and I had taken our M20S up there and the Rocket made it feel like a J3.  200kts at 13k or 235kts at 24k and burning 20gal/hr.  Climbs at 140kts at 1000ft/min.  Or, if you're in a hurry to make altitude, you can go up at 1300ft/min at 110kts.  And the owner said his annual maintenance costs weren't much more than a stock Mooney...although the price of admission is pretty steep.   Make sure you get the speed brakes, otherwise you'll spend all day trying to get on the ground.  If I remember right, you're not supposed to run the Rocket under 50% power for extended periods.  This is roughly equal to normal cruise on a stock Mooney.  Unless you can set up your descent from 100 miles out, you'll be bumping the redline all the way down without the brakes on a Rocket.  

Great way to travel if you're in a hurry.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MORE POWER!!!

I can understand such desires. I've always longed for a PA-24-400.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[qute]Quoted:

MORE POWER!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[qute]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ote]

MORE POWER!!!

you and me both. By far my favorite plane
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top