Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2016 12:11:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the rotating thing on the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like radar
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the rotating thing on the bottom.
View Quote

It looks like the Swedish Air Force SAR squadron bought and added a marine radar unit so they could do SAR stuff.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]

I can give that a thumbs up for some decent demo flying
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
4 minute mark, here I thought that the C-17 I saw make a 90 degree turn in reverse to back into a parking space a few weeks ago was nuts...
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Not CFII, but I have a bit over 800 hours in the Phrog.  It's an incredible aircraft.  The the reversing after the run on was something we practiced a bit.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I am pretty sure that CFII flies the 47. The 46 was flown by the Marines and was retired a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure that CFII flies the 47. The 46 was flown by the Marines and was retired a few years ago.
View Quote

Doh, you're right. This is a 46, and I typoed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's also still flown by the State Department and there are a few civilian outfits using them for utility work.  Logging, fire fighting, construction, oil exploration and there are 4 on a DOD contract in Afghanistan.

Those 4 also happen to be the highest time helicopters anywhere in the world.  One of them has somewhere around 80k hours.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it can you have it right there in the video
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's also still flown by the State Department and there are a few civilian outfits using them for utility work.  Logging, fire fighting, construction, oil exploration and there are 4 on a DOD contract in Afghanistan.

Those 4 also happen to be the highest time helicopters anywhere in the world.  One of them has somewhere around 80k hours.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wanted to find out who flew the contract ones in Afghanistan, talk about some serious pilot skills. I'm an attack guy so I have no reference in regards to sling loads, but I saw them do some pretty amazing stuff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
4 minute mark, here I thought that the C-17 I saw make a 90 degree turn in reverse to back into a parking space a few weeks ago was nuts...
View Quote

i saw a p-3 do that once.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fast forward to about the 8:15 mark and you can watch one of my old OICs back Fat Albert up, and turn it around on the runway, immediately after landing:

http://youtu.be/2C6tu9LNMs0

... then- Capt Jorge is also prior enlisted, having been aircrew on CH-53's

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I always wanted to find out who flew the contract ones in Afghanistan, talk about some serious pilot skills. I'm an attack guy so I have no reference in regards to sling loads, but I saw them do some pretty amazing stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I might have some knowledge on this subject.....

The company is Columbia Helicopters, Inc.  Based out of Aurora, Oregon.  

V11I6_9_1920 by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]
4:25 to 4:40 looks like one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top