Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2013 2:22:53 AM EDT
TU-154 supposedly looses control authority and the pilot manages to land it using only differential thrust. Watch the video of it "flying".

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
white box error
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the video url had double dashes in it, I found another one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
That's not hard to believe. You can easily turn a multi-engine aircraft with differential power, but what that crew did took real coordination because I doubt a single pilot could manipulate all three thrust levers to turn and descend and then apply center-line engine thrust to flare somewhat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a fake.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's not hard to believe. You can easily turn a multi-engine aircraft with differential power, but what that crew did took real coordination because I doubt a single pilot could manipulate all three thrust levers to turn and descend and then apply center-line engine thrust to flare somewhat.

Oh I don't doubt about using differential thrust to control. Denny Fitch and Al Haynes saved 185 lives by managing to get a DC-10 aligned and on the runway with no hydraulics so I don't doubt that at all. What looks like BS is the extreme pitch, roll and yaw the jet is experiencing without dropping out of the sky. It looked like it was hitting AOAs that would make an F-22 jealous.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was flight training, my instructor and I go a a 172 lined up on glideslope using throttle and elevator trim, and turning by holding the doors open.  It was a hoot.  Wouldn't want my life to depend on it though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks real... looks like they almost lost it a few times due to dutch roll.  I hope they bought a lotto ticket that day after that because talk about luck.  I'd imagine they couldn't do it again if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When I was flight training, my instructor and I go a a 172 lined up on glideslope using throttle and elevator trim, and turning by holding the doors open.  It was a hoot.  Wouldn't want my life to depend on it though.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ive seen it before. Seems real enough. Russian pilots are probably REALLY got at IFEs.

From what I have been told, the actual airplane uses control tabs, like the DC9. So the necessity to do a differential thrust approach would be nil. It's apparently an RC model.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive seen it before. Seems real enough. Russian pilots are probably REALLY got at IFEs.

From what I have been told, the actual airplane uses control tabs, like the DC9. So the necessity to do a differential thrust approach would be nil. It's apparently an RC model.

I'm pretty sure the -154 has powered flight controls, not tabs.  That's what I was told, buy a guy who had some experience with the equipment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That's an awfully big yaw motion without the use of control surfaces....
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's an awfully big yaw motion without the use of control surfaces....

That yawing is uncontrolled and due to dutch roll.  They probably lost their yaw damping with the rest of the control loss.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What, you've never done anything just to see if you could do it?  We were bored.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top