Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2013 12:39:25 PM EDT
Anyone seen it? What did you think of their plan to rescue the B29 from Greenland? For those who have not seen it, it is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw it many years ago.  I have un-kind things to saw about Greenameyer.  Their plan was poor, very poor.

(This is me, practicing the art of understatment. Otherwise I might violate the COC)
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I was profoundly saddened by the outcome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was profoundly saddened by the outcome.

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
An otherwise noble cause spawned big plans, to make big money, with no money. The reason it it burned when it did was 100% preventable. Sad and silly sums it up.

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
That makes me sick every time I think about it.  I can't watch it again. :(
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I still don't understand why, if they had the logistics to bring in new engines, all those parts, manpower and equipment, why they couldn't pull the engines and wings, load it onto a ship and transport it somewhere the work could be done correctly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The ending always makes me cry.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because it was too far inland.  They didn't have the airlift capable of bringing the fuse or wings out. As is, those engines were likely near max gross of that caribou.

And as it was, they did do it right.  That APU just ruined things.  

When I saw this Nova when I was a little kid... I cried.

There are ways to transport heavy equipment in the arctic.

Search "rolligon"
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw it years ago.  Since then I have subconsciously blocked it from my memory until this thread showed up here.  Now I will need therapy for it.  Sad ending.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw it years ago.  Since then I have subconsciously blocked it from my memory until this thread showed up here.  Now I will need therapy for it.  Sad ending.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it was too far inland.  They didn't have the airlift capable of bringing the fuse or wings out. As is, those engines were likely near max gross of that caribou.

And as it was, they did do it right.  That APU just ruined things.  

When I saw this Nova when I was a little kid... I cried.

There are ways to transport heavy equipment in the arctic.

Search "rolligon"

There is always a way, but probably more expensive than his group of A&Ps and a cariobou he already owned for a summer.  IIRC that location was somewhat remote.

I seem to remember the recovery being somewhat on a shoestring budget.

Thats the problem, for a piece of irreplacable history like that B-29 they should have had a bigger budget and done it right.  But Greenameyer is cowboy and he threw together a fly by night operation.  It should come as no surprise that a half ass job gives half ass results.

They should have left it there until a team with a real chance of getting it done right  could do it.  Instead they destroyed a priceless peice of history.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Despite being an airplane nut for years I never knew about this one.  Sad, sad story.

Can't help but think it is pretty damn impressive any of it was still good.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Same.  Saw it when it debuted on PBS.  Can't bring myself to watch it again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top