BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2013 10:08:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a 60 driver, and I'm always getting asked "Do you guys wear parachutes just in case?"
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I fly air ambulance for a living and when I tell someone that they always ask if I have ever thought of flying commercial!
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I fly air ambulance for a living and when I tell someone that they always ask if I have ever thought of flying commercial!

Yeah I always get the "you're a pilot, why don't you just go fly for the hospital?"
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Heard that more than once.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should ask them who will fly them to the hospital
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What river is that?

Have you ever seen a UFO?

Can I ride in the cockpit?

What are all those clocks, dials, gauges for?

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
What do you do all day at the airport waiting on us?  I usually answer "drink heavily at the bar" it ends the question and answer session
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What do you do all day at the airport waiting on us?  I usually answer "drink heavily at the bar" it ends the question and answer session

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont "hate" any questions because Im always happy to talk flying....but I get a lot of questions about airlines, and why they do this, that, and the other.

All my logbook time is tailwheel time and most of my landings are on grass.....a lot of my time in the air I just wear earplugs and never turn the radio on or put on a pair of headsets. I have no fucking clue why airliners do things the way they do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you really haul your balls around in a tow sack
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
1. "Does the Apache really have a whisper mode?" - Thank you Blue Thunder

2. "Is that an ejection seat?" - "No, it is a canopy eject handle in case we land on our side or in water or are on fire..."

3. "Does that thing on your head really make the gun move?" - "Yes, the 'thing' on my head makes the gun move with IR sensors..."

4. "How'd you get that thing in here with all these cars (or whatever is around us at a static display)?" - "Refer to your first question, we not only have whisper mode but we also have no wind mode, invisible mode, and insta-kill..."

5. "When you fly around have you ever wanted to just fire off one of those missiles?" - "No, when I fly around I do not want to just fire off one of these dummy / training hellfire missiles."
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
No comment LMAO! That was a couple years ago but yes, it has happened. However it's not because it was "fired", the armament guys didn't lock it on the rail properly and when the airplane nosed over it slid right off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My most commonly received questions in my airline career...

"Don't you ever get scared?"

"Doesn't the autopilot pretty much do everything for you?"

"How long have you been flying?"

"What's your route?"

"Which airliner is your favorite to fly?"

My most commonly received question as a pilot in Northwest Alaska...

In a thick native accent as we're boarding up - "Are we gonna crash?"  Me - "Yes. Watch your head there. Lets all get on and go crash now."
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I dont "hate" any questions because Im always happy to talk flying....but I get a lot of questions about airlines, and why they do this, that, and the other.

All my logbook time is tailwheel time and most of my landings are on grass.....a lot of my time in the air I just wear earplugs and never turn the radio on or put on a pair of headsets. I have no fucking clue why airliners do things the way they do.

You post pics of yourself in a headset all the time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You post pics of yourself in a headset all the time.

Stalker
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In a thick native accent as we're boarding up - "Are we gonna crash?"  Me - "Yes. Watch your head there. Lets all get on and go crash now."

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#19]
"Aren't you afraid you'll crash?  I hear about plane crashes all the time".
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
"Where is the Apache?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#21]
"Does your airplane stall when you fire the gun?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I ask all sorts of questions pilots hate
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously it does.

How about "how often do you get birdstrikes from the rear?

That's not funny if you ask a blackhawk pilot...when I was at Rucker they had one land to the inverted "Y" slime lights of another blackhawk. And at the Longbow course there was a similar instance in broad daylight...
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I fly cargo, the question always is " are you going to get a job flying commercial?".
Answer- No I can't afford the pay cut.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a software developer. I work remotely and I have a ton of freedom.

"Ever think about flying for the airlines?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously it does.

How about "how often do you get birdstrikes from the rear?

Ya got me, you got the tater.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I always get asked if I was in the military.  When I say, "No" I get told how most HEMS pilots are ex-Vietnam guys and it's rare to see a civilian make their way into the industry.  Yeah, maybe 20 years ago, but even 10 years ago when I got started in HEMS, Vietnam vets were getting scarce.  I just shrug my shoulders and let these expert security guards and volunteer firefighters think whatever they want.

And on PRs, everyone asking about the pitot tube........and trying to keep the kids from hanging on it and trying to stick stuff in it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Favorite questions from airshows about the C-5:

1. "Can you put tanks in here" Yes, and pass that on to the jackass behind you because he is going to ask me also.
2. "Did you all fly this here" No, but you should see how big the box is that it came in
3. "The C-130 is bigger than this, right?"
4. I had a CAP nerd ask me what my engine out glide ratio is for FRED.  When I told him that I had no clue, he rolled his eyes at me and muttered "Ha, Lieutenants!" to his buddies behind him.
5. ORFs always tell me about the time they flew these when they had spiral staircases or propellers...sure you did, Gramps. Aren't you missing Matlock right now?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
4. I had a CAP nerd ask me what my engine out glide ratio is for FRED.  When I told him that I had no clue, he rolled his eyes at me and muttered "Ha, Lieutenants!" to his buddies behind him.

You should have reminded him that YOU flew that there...and that the hangar he stores his Cessna in would fit inside your C-5

You also made me think of one that an old MTP used to say:

"What happens when you lose your engines in this thing (AH64D)?" - "Have you ever thrown a rock off a really tall building?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Once in a while we'll pick up some cocky shitweed that
invariably announces in front of his employees: "It's ok
the pilots say I can take over in-case something goes wrong."

And with 99% of those, none have touched a turbine aircraft in
their life, and of those 99%, 80% own a Bonanza.

But..  I'd say the most frequently asked questions are about
the "size" of the engines, and the static wicks, they grab the
attention of pax for some reason or another....

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Id be more worried about losing hydraulics in that steed of yours.

Nah man, we don't ever have hyd. failures...as long as we don't use the gun, missiles, and rockets while we're flying.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, that can be a bad day for everyone. Leaking hydraulics is another story. At least if something is leaking, that means you still have SOME fluid left in the system.

I love this plane.. I'm kind of partial since it is the only one I truly know.

ETA: If it is my steed you are referring to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I love that I have heard most of these questions verbatim.

As someone stuck in a Pilatus for the last ten years I can add:

"Can you fly 'dual-engine' planes?"

"Can you fly jets?"

On a related note of passenger ignorance:

I had a former owner bragging on me to his buddies one time. He pointed out that he hired me when he saw on my resume that before flying 135 Cargo and 91 Corporate I had been a flight instructor for a number of years. He thought that was a big deal and impressive. I nodded and smiled while giggling on the inside at the irony that the least experienced pilots are tasked with training brand new pilots. Also that I have a list of CFI-turned-airline pilots I instructed with that when one of their names is announced before leaving the gate it is my cue to get off the plane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that can be a bad day for everyone. Leaking hydraulics is another story. At least if something is leaking, that means you still have SOME fluid left in the system.

I love this plane.. I'm kind of partial since it is the only one I truly know.

ETA: If it is my steed you are referring to.

His crack is because if the Apache loses hydraulics all of the flight controls lock up. There is no backup to the backup. 2 systems, primary and utility hydraulics. Once they are gone, you're locked up in whatever position the flight controls were in at the time. If it's a bank, or dive, or whatever...that's the direction you go. Bad juju cuz we ride that puppy to the ground.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And on PRs, everyone asking about the pitot tube........and trying to keep the kids from hanging on it and trying to stick stuff in it.

Pitot heat FTW  
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I guess I'm guilty of asking every medical helicopter pilot I've met what branch of the military did they serve.  Of the handful of pilots I've spoken to, 100% were all former mil.  Probably being annoyed by that question, one pilot did mention he's flown with a civilian pilot once.

I understand it's rare and super expensive to get a helicopter rating privately, but I get the impression that these pilots almost feel a tad ashamed admitting they got trained on the taxpayers dime.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]
"How many airplanes have you crashed before!?"
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#42]
"How do I get to the C terminal?"   - Look up and follow the signs.

"What gate is my flight at?"   - Check the board, then follow the signs.

Waiting at the gate for a late inbound aircraft is always full of passengers asking why the plane is late and what time we'll be arriving.

"It's cool you get to travel for a living."   - If by travel you mean see the inside of the airport and hotel, then yup!

"Wow, this airplane is small."   - How big is your airplane?

"Why are we delayed?  The weather is fine!"   - Because our destination is getting hammered by a storm with tornado warnings.

I swear passengers lose 20 IQ points when they set foot in an airport.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Where is the Apache?"

It couldn't make it, cause it PL'd on startup

And no, this Blackhawk doesn't have guns, and yes we flew it here
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#44]
To be filled under things that you like to hear from your passengers is something that you guys flying real planes might not hear much. Had a passenger this morning ask me if I needed to check his pistol. My answer was ' only if it's something cool.'  He's not a regular passenger and must not realize that there are almost always more guns than passengers on the plane.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1. "Can you put tanks in here" Yes, and pass that on to the jackass behind you because he is going to ask me also.
2. "Did you all fly this here" No, but you should see how big the box is that it came in
4. I had a CAP nerd ask me what my engine out glide ratio is for FRED.  When I told him that I had no clue, he rolled his eyes at me and muttered "Ha, Lieutenants!" to his buddies behind him.5. ORFs always tell me about the time they flew these when they had spiral staircases or propellers...sure you did, Gramps. Aren't you missing Matlock right now?

1: All the way to the crash site.  2:  Lol, Lieutenants. (in general)

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

5. ORFs always tell me about the time they flew these when they had spiral staircases or propellers...sure you did, Gramps. Aren't you missing Matlock right now?

For the KC-135 the most common questions are about the guns and bombs.

The last airshow the best question was "can you refuel the space shuttle?"
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I am not a commercial pilot, but I notice that people who aren't pilots at all seem to have an obsession with thrust reversers, and are always asking commercial pilots about them.  Seems like that would get real old...
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am not a commercial pilot, but I notice that people who aren't pilots at all seem to have an obsession with thrust reversers, and are always asking commercial pilots about them.  Seems like that would get real old...

I like to watch them on wet runways
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to watch them on wet runways

Powerbacks are, or rather were, cool to watch.  Northwest used to powerback their DC-9's at DTW.

Truth be told, powerbacks used a lot of fuel, made a lot of noise, blew shit all over the place, and increased the chance of a collision.  However, I still thought they rocked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I reverse the shit out of the prop on wet and snowy runways just to see the water and snow blown around. It ammuses me when the tower guys ask me for a braking action report when I only use brakes for stopping at the FBO. Sometimes I stand on the brakes to see if I skid if I really want to give them an honest answer.

RC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top