Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 7:16:05 AM EDT
Nothing but a sprained ankle
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
He say what happened (other than the obvious )?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
lucky, he go buy a lotto ticket also?

seriously glad he is ok
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]

WOW  Glad he's safe and sound!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Apparently an accumulator on the prop failed and the prop feathered.......
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Apparently an accumulator on the prop failed and the prop feathered.......

Ouch.

In cruise, that wouldn't be all that bad (unless you were over really inhospitable terrain), but while doing aerobatics, it is a serious AW SHIT! moment.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
thank heavens it didn't fail to the flat pitch position.  I lost two co-workers and a whole plane load of people when a prop pitch change actuator failed and it was 50/50 as to which way it would go...fate that day chose flat pitch.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would low pitch be worse?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually single engine airplane props fail to flat pitch. Essentially a climb prop. I'd prefer that to feathering!
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Usually single engine airplane props fail to flat pitch. Essentially a climb prop. I'd prefer that to feathering!

At climb pitch the ole airscrew is still making power, not so much at feather

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not familiar with any other piston single that fails to feather, any idea why it's setup that way?  Maybe something to do with the inverted oil system?

Your buddy is a lucky man...Not because he walked away but because he'll never buy another beer again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thank heavens it didn't fail to the flat pitch position.  I lost two co-workers and a whole plane load of people when a prop pitch change actuator failed and it was 50/50 as to which way it would go...fate that day chose flat pitch.

In a -120?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It depends on the situation.  If the engine stops running (or if you need to shut it down due to a fire, low oil pressure, etc.) you want it to feather.  Strangely, a windmilling propeller generates almost as much drag as a solid circular plate of the same diameter.  At least that's what they told me in flight training.

If the engine is still going, you want it to still be able to generate thrust.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe it was just because I already knew what was coming, based on the thread title, but it looked painfully obvious what was going to happen.  Reminds me of an airshow I went to when I was in high school, where a guy was doing snap rolls on a 45deg down line and I knew long before he hit the ground that he had done one roll too many.  He wasn't so lucky though. He followed his wife, who had died a few weeks prior in a crash.

I'm glad to know your friend made it though.  I would not have expected that, based on video alone.  I have friends who do acro competition and instruction, and I worry about them a lot.  Also lost two professors in a mid-air while practicing for a show.    Can't afford mistakes doing stuff like this.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the situation.  If the engine stops running (or if you need to shut it down due to a fire, low oil pressure, etc.) you want it to feather.  Strangely, a windmilling propeller generates almost as much drag as a solid circular plate of the same diameter.  At least that's what they told me in flight training.

If the engine is still going, you want it to still be able to generate thrust.

Yup, if the prop fails flat (they should bleed to feather like this one did), it's like putting a barn door on the front of the plane.  One-way trip to stallsville.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I like his quote about what was going through his mind, "...fly the plane as far into the crash as I can..."

Just damm.  
Glad your buddy is ok OP.

7mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top