Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2011 2:59:23 PM EDT
Looking for anybody who works for World.  Looking for insight on the job.

Thanks,
ka
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about World, but Omni is hiring (If you don't mind 20 day trips).  Omni might be a good stepping stone to World,  FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if this helps or not. World Airways

Another outfit to check out is Kalitta Airlines. I don't work there, but I know two who do work there and one who did. I'd like to work there myself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
In a similar vein, I interviewed (succesfully) at North American a few years back.  The majority of the interview was their DO + CP describing in depth the trials of long, unpredictable trips, to god-forsaken places.  They convinced me, I turned down the class date.  World occupies a similar niche.  Al that being said, I often wonder if I should have taken that job, I'd have much better stories.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Bunch of my ex-ATA cohorts there.

What do you want to know?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, got off the phone with the chief pilot a bit ago and have an interview next week.  Just doing the aviator thing and seeking gouge on the interview process.  Got some buds working there and have a pretty good handle on the lifestyle and the ups and downs.  Now I just need to pass the interview.  

Funny thing is when I posted this, I was just "Applicant # XXX".  Now I'm "Prospective candidate YYY"...the power of ARFCOM

ka
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure if this helps or not. World Airways

Another outfit to check out is Kalitta Airlines. I don't work there, but I know two who do work there and one who did. I'd like to work there myself.

Today's Kallita is NOT your father's Kalitta.

If you have been around very long, you know lots of Kallita stories, none really apply anymore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
well, off to the interview tomorrow.  Wish me luck and I'll pass on a "range report" when I return.

ka
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Range Report...sorta.

The interview was a blast.  The first night was an informal Meet and Greet with the management type pilots.  When I say informal, I mean INFORMAL...really laid back.  Day 2 was lots of paperwork followed by the inevitable Piss in a Cup that we all know and love.  This was followed by a 4 on 1 interview.  Again, real informal with the most common question being asked "you DO know what kind of flying we do, what our schedules are like, and the garden spots we go to...right?".  As I said, it was laid back and very conversational,  Day 3 was a trip to the Lockheed L-1011 sim for some basic airwork.  Thank God I had someone able to tell me what all those little (and not so little) dials where.  12 years of glass cockpit work has turned my once stellar scan to a stare.  Long story short, it wasn't pretty but I made it to the runway and got that 380000lb monster stopped.

Now the waiting begins.

ka
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Range Report...sorta.

The interview was a blast.  The first night was an informal Meet and Greet with the management type pilots.  When I say informal, I mean INFORMAL...really laid back.  Day 2 was lots of paperwork followed by the inevitable Piss in a Cup that we all know and love.  This was followed by a 4 on 1 interview.  Again, real informal with the most common question being asked "you DO know what kind of flying we do, what our schedules are like, and the garden spots we go to...right?".  As I said, it was laid back and very conversational,  Day 3 was a trip to the Lockheed L-1011 sim for some basic airwork.  Thank God I had someone able to tell me what all those little (and not so little) dials where.  12 years of glass cockpit work has turned my once stellar scan to a stare.  Long story short, it wasn't pretty but I made it to the runway and got that 380000lb monster stopped.

Now the waiting begins.

ka
Glad to hear it went well.  Gotta love laid-back interviews!  That's the way it should be.  Hope you get the good news soon.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a side note, World Airways aircraft are maintained by Delta Airlines in Atlanta  
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
No fair making you do it in an L-10 sim.

Hell, that plane made even me look good.

Should have given you something more challenging.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I would make my living shovelling horseshit from a barn before I would work for Kalitta.  Every single person I know who worked there fucking hated it.  I work with a guy who used to work for Wolrd Airways.  What do you want to know?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Today's Kallita is NOT your father's Kalitta.

If you have been around very long, you know lots of Kallita stories, none really apply anymore.

There are a few out there...

I enjoyed my time at Kalitta.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, as a post range, range report.  I GOT THE FREAKIN JOB

Not that I am excited or anything.  Class date of 4 May.  Going to fly the MD-11.  I can't wait
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not that I am excited or anything.  Class date of 4 May.  Going to fly the MD-11.  I can't wait

Awesome man, Congrats!  Jealous of the MD-11!

Just out of curiosity, would you mind posting your times?  Are they 14 on/ 14 off?  

I hitched a ride on World, over the the Desert once....best flight/food/flight attendants ever!
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sweet. Good onions.

Good luck.

Keep us posted and post some pic's.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, would you mind posting your times?  Are they 14 on/ 14 off?  

I hitched a ride on World, over the the Desert once....best flight/food/flight attendants ever!

Times?  Sure.  11,200 total.  10,7isn Multi.  all but 36 of that is turbine or jet.  121 regional capt for the last 7 years.  Lear, kingair, crj background.

If you are looking, www.worldairways.com is the site, look for careers.  If you see a pilot posting, they are hiring into that position.  Indications are that they need pilots.

good luck
ka
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats! Always exciting.  A man's airplane.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Contests!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Way to go! Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#22]
World has one or two of Gemini's MD11s... If you get any time in anything with a 70_GC registration number, give her a kiss on the cheek for me.

Also, don't scrape the tail.

Oh, and major grats on the job. World has a pretty solid rep in the freight business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Good on you!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'll just keep my Global Aero Logistics/ATA owned World and NAA but here I am out of a flying job bitterness out of this thread and just say congrats!

Several TZ Warriors over there, you'll enjoy them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I'll just keep my Global Aero Logistics/ATA owned World and NAA but here I am out of a flying job bitterness out of this thread and just say congrats!

Several TZ Warriors over there, you'll enjoy them.

Well, they ARE hiring.  TZ?  ATA?  IF so, ATA has a strong presence at World.  

ka

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, ATA.

And no, I think I'm gonna stay right here, LOL.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Where ya at?
I assume you flew the 73 at ATA.  Know a guy by the  name of Brady Reid?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where ya at?

FlightSafety.

Yes, and the 73, 75, and L-10.

Yes, I knew Brady.  ALL the chicks dug him.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats dude, It's always great to hear of someone getting hired.  Especially, when it's a job you really want.

Things are turning around..   Pilot shortage in 2012!!!!    Hooohaaa!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Times?  Sure.  11,200 total.  10,7isn Multi.  all but 36 of that is turbine or jet.  121 regional capt for the last 7 years.  Lear, kingair, crj background.

If you are looking, www.worldairways.com is the site, look for careers.  If you see a pilot posting, they are hiring into that position.  Indications are that they need pilots.

good luck

ka

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#30]
"Pilot shortage in........." Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Been hearing this for 35 years. Really. WJ
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where ya at?

FlightSafety.

Yes, and the 73, 75, and L-10.

Yes, I knew Brady.  ALL the chicks dug him.

Yep, you must know him then.

ka
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

it's coming, you'll see! I know the old joke about the last pilot shortage was when Wilbur and Orville flipped for the seat on the Flyer, but I really do believe that with the new regulations plus the age 65 rule taking effect, hiring is going to pick up like mad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's coming, you'll see! I know the old joke about the last pilot shortage was when Wilbur and Orville flipped for the seat on the Flyer, but I really do believe that with the new regulations plus the age 65 rule taking effect, hiring is going to pick up like mad.

There is a kit darby joke in here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a kit darby joke in here somewhere.

I didn't know who that was, so I googled him... There's always at least one...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what will  $150 dollar/barrel oil do to the airlines?  Correct reply. Ground lot and lots of airplanes. Just like in the 70's.  Pilots were getting jobs alright. In Payless Shoe stores.  I know because I was there. Knew a Texas International C-580 pilot who did just that.  After three bankruptcies I gave up.  But I'm sure its different this time. It always is. WJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top