Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2010 2:58:34 PM EDT
I just picked up a couple of excellent books from Amazon that I highly recommend for those interested in Soviet/Russian warplanes.

The first is called "SU-27 Flanker Story" by Andrei Fomin.  The book has a ton of information on the development of the SU-27 Flanker, and its fielding.  Amazing, in-depth explanation and photos of the many prototypes of this aircraft, as well as its various sub-systems.  336 pages of everything you wanted to know.  It also covers variants, from the Naval version (SU-33), to the advanced versions (SU-35/37) to the fighter-bomber (SU-34).  The book was published in 2000, so it does not have any information newer than that (so nothing on the newest SU-35 without canards, etc).  

I was not surprised to find out how much the Soviets followed the F-15's development when designing the SU-27.   They "acquired" engine blueprints, radar, avionics and other info both through espionage and open-sources.  The author does not delve much into this aspect, but the topic came up at several points.  

ISBN 10: 9785935110032

The second book is called "Russian Air Power" by Yefim Gordon.  Yefim Gordon is an expert on Soviet/Russian aviation and it shows in this book. The book has detailed information on various planes ranging from cargo planes, fighters, bombers, to trainers etc up to date as late as the 2008 war in Southern Ossetia (Georgia vs. Russia).  There's a lot of info on the various units using each type of aircraft, and a wealth of information on the history behind these organizations.  Gordon has a lot of other books that are hard to find and out of print, which cost around $200, but they are a great addition to any enthusiast's library.  I am holding out for some of the other ones, hoping I can find them at Half-price books or somewhere else for less than $100.  

ISBN 10: 9781857803167

There are reviews of these books available on Amazon and elsewhere.  I can't do them justice. Together, they cost me about $100, and I think they were well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Great aircraft no doubt.....I especially like what India has done, they aquired SU-30MKI's. Basically told the russians to leave out all there shiity avionics and radar and they bought off the shelf American and French systems and installed them mating the rugged Russian airframe with the high speed low drag weapons systems of western countrys.
There are some impressive youtube videos out there as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
...Just got off YouTube after searching for SU37 (advanced version of the 27?).....damn damn damn....is that maneuverable or what? Literally turning on a dime....I'd heard of the "cobra" maneuver, but wow!

Wonder if there's a flight sim with both the 27/37 and the F22....stealth -v- maneuver....

flight demo
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Great aircraft no doubt.....I especially like what India has done, they aquired SU-30MKI's. Basically told the russians to leave out all there shiity avionics and radar and they bought off the shelf American and French systems and installed them mating the rugged Russian airframe with the high speed low drag weapons systems of western countrys.

There are some impressive youtube videos out there as well.

Actually, Indian Su-30MKIs are equipped with a Russian made radars. Indians are impressed with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top