Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:01:41 AM EDT
I have This  CI's Humidor. . It cam with a Puck, I added a Hygrometer , and Gel

I can't seem to get the RH above 59. I've had it since Xmas. I thought it was stable at 70%. If I had to guess I would say its the Humidor. Any help is apreciated. As always the cheaper the better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check for leak?
Check the seal and the gap between the lid and the box.
Put a flashlight (Surefire of course ) in the box, turn it on, and close the lid.
Darken up the room and see if there are any light leak out of the humidor.  I light leaks out, return / exchange the humidor.

Did you pretreat your humidor?
New humidor need to be pre-treated/aged, to let the wood absorb the moisture.
It takes a few days at 80%+ humidity to pre-treat the humidor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the hygrometer calibrated?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you check the accuracy of your hygrometer?

You can do this by mixing a salt slurry, check out this link it will tell you how to check your accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you season the humidor and calibrate your hygrometer?

If you didn't your humidity will probably run low for a while. If you hygrometer is off, then who knows what your actual humidity is. Do the salt calibration.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you check for leak?
Check the seal and the gap between the lid and the box.
Put a flashlight (Surefire of course ) in the box, turn it on, and close the lid.
Darken up the room and see if there are any light leak out of the humidor.  I light leaks out, return / exchange the humidor.

Did you pretreat your humidor?
New humidor need to be pre-treated/aged, to let the wood absorb the moisture.
It takes a few days at 80%+ humidity to pre-treat the humidor.

Checked for leaks, nothing. I used a Fenix, should I use a surefire? Is this the only way? lol j/k

I pretreated it. It stayed at 70 for a week, I think.

The Hygro says never to use the salt test. I'll grab the manual when I get home. I am pretty sure it says to run away or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I read all the reviews for this hygro on Amazon. While it is rated high, there are a bunch of 1-2 star ratings.

Please reccomend me a inexpensive Hygro.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I noticed you're in Nevada.
Let's be clear on all this seasoning business.

1. It's BS for the most part.  In dry weather climates you're going to be hard pressed to get a humidor to the point that it holds any moisture regardless of any seasoning.
I've been running an Avallo 1200 for roughly 5 years.  I live in Colorado where it's dry.  If my water tanks run dry inside, the humidity will drop low.  I run several quarts of water on an automatic system which does keep things where I want them.  I also have roughly 3 pounds of climax beads in there to keep it all stabilized.  The best you'll get at any sort of set and forget system is a coolerdor.  I just don't want people thinking that your humidor has a seasoning problem.

Now then.  Do a salt test on your hygro and figure out how far off it is.  Just because the tag on the pillow says not to remove, doesn't mean you can't.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now then.  Do a salt test on your hygro and figure out how far off it is.  Just because the tag on the pillow says not to remove, doesn't mean you can't.

But it says not tooo...... Whaaaaa....

I guess I can do the test to prove that it is broken. Not that there is a way to calibrate it.

Would the gel keep it at 70%? It's a small box, with a small (2oz) gel jar.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The gel certainly helps but you really have to stay on top of it.  I used to keep a few gel jars in my smaller humidors.  In the end though, I just kept my eye on it.
You might want to pick up another credo block or something along those lines just help it out.
Side note:  I've always been a fan of analog hygros over the digital ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's doesn't HAVE to be 70%.  I'm usually around 65 and am happy with the condition of the sticks.  Others like theirs at 60.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the towel test and the humidity is at 95%. I think its been on about an hour.

I think I am just going to run to the store and get a cooler for a coolerdor.

ETA It eventually made it to 99%
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let's be clear on all this seasoning business.

1. It's BS for the most part.  In dry weather climates you're going to be hard pressed to get a humidor to the point that it holds any moisture regardless of any seasoning.
I've been running an Avallo 1200 for roughly 5 years.  I live in Colorado where it's dry.  If my water tanks run dry inside, the humidity will drop low.  I run several quarts of water on an automatic system which does keep things where I want them.  I also have roughly 3 pounds of climax beads in there to keep it all stabilized.  The best you'll get at any sort of set and forget system is a coolerdor.  I just don't want people thinking that your humidor has a seasoning problem.

As far as analog vs digital hygrometers––different strokes I suppose....Season my humi's at least twice a year and use a digital as well as analog and the digital is much more accurate so the analog is just there for looks on my end...I live in NC where it's more humid except for winter....Sounds like the OP could benefit from an active vs passive humidification device

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

.Sounds like the OP could benefit from an active vs passive humidification device

Is there a smaller active unit that will work in a 20 cigar humidor?
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.Sounds like the OP could benefit from an active vs passive humidification device

Is there a smaller active unit that will work in a 20 cigar humidor?

The smallest active humidifier is the Cigar Oasis Ultra, which is design for a real 100-200 count humidor, design to replace the humidifier.
Put some crystals in there to buffer the hunidity, and you will have to forgo filling the top tray that comes with humidifier that size.
The Ultra will blow 100% humidified air right onto the top tray, and will over humidifier the cigars placed there.
Some people put small electric fan (computer fan) over humidifier crystal bottle to create their own and put the fan on timer instead of a humidity controller (two or three 20 minutes run per day, adjust more or less as required), but that will definitely involve crystals to buffer the excess humidity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top