Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 1:47:22 PM EDT
I searched, but cannot find a comprehensive listing and description of wrapper types.  Like what is the difference between a connecticut, a maduro, a corojo, a ligero, a cameroon, a sumatra, etc.  Mainly I'm interested in the different flavor characteristics.
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Partial info from Wikipedia

More info

Google seemed to bring up a lot of resources for "cigar wrapper types" or even "cigar wrappers" but nothing seemed to have everything in one spot...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  That second link had a lot of good info.

However, there was no mention of the flavor differences.  Help me out if I'm on the wrong track.  I just don't understand why (to me) the RYJ Vintage and Reserva Real tastes like I'm smoking the wrong end, Macanudo Cafe was smooth and mellow, Oliva O was interesting and tasty, and Bradley was slightly less ashtray-ish than the RYJ.  Does it depend more on the guts?  "Toothy" and "chewy" don't mean anything when CI (for example) describes the wrapper.  They say the maduro has some sweetness to it and sometimes some bite; the ligero is supposed to be peppery and "strong" (whatever that means); connecticut (though they don't say it) hints of old shoes (maybe that's just brand specific).  So I'm starting to think it is more of the guts - the country (or countries) of origin that make a bigger difference.  Or is it really more complicated than that because it involves the wrapper type, plus the filler, plus the age?  I have noticed they get better after sitting in the frigerador for a while and then letting them sit for a day at room temperature and rh before lighting.  Fortunately I've run out of room in the frigerador, so I won't be spending any more money to learn the hard way.  That's really the bottom line of my original question: certain traits I'd like from a few different brands to narrow the search so I can find a favorite without having to try just about everything out there.  I've gotten some suggestions from the members here and, being newer stock, I'll let them age a bit while I try the older stuff first.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe "toothy" refers to the appearance/texture of the wrapper, it'll have a pattern on it that appears rough (seen often on Cameroon wrappers).  Haven't really figured out "Chewy" yet, but I want to say it has something to do with the mouth-feel of the smoke.  I've read 70% of your flavor comes from the wrapper, but that definitely sounds like a made up number and I can't imagine it would be the same for all cigars.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe "toothy" refers to the appearance/texture of the wrapper, it'll have a pattern on it that appears rough (seen often on Cameroon wrappers).  Haven't really figured out "Chewy" yet, but I want to say it has something to do with the mouth-feel of the smoke.  I've read 70% of your flavor comes from the wrapper, but that definitely sounds like a made up number and I can't imagine it would be the same for all cigars.

I'd say that Casa Magnas or Joya De Nicargua Antanos have a "chewy" wrapper...mostly just a thicker leaf as opposed to the fly paper that Gurkha uses on their wrappers.

The Kristoff Ligero Maduro that I'm smoking right now has a chewy wrapper too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the "toothy" term refers to the appearance of the wrapper.  I just don't understand why the sellers get excited about it.  More worth getting excied about is the flavor and "finnish" (another stupid term).  Why not just call it aftertaste, since that's what you'll be tasting for the rest of the day.  Hmmm, what am I in the mood for today: rental bowling shoe insoles, full ashtray the morning after poker night, or cafe con leche sucked through a freshly tanned leather straw?  
IMO, the second thing about a wrapper worth getting excited about is not having to babysit the burn.

This link was in the second link above and is what I found most helpful.  I'll be looking for the Schweppes today!
Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top