Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2008 1:17:14 PM EDT
Howdy. So today is my 18th birthday and I just wanted to go out and do all the stuff you can do at age 18.

Bought a lotto ticket, going to buy a gun on Saturday, and I bought 3 cigars today. Only problem is I have never smoked before so I had no clue what I should buy. Are these "good" cigars?

My friend who I thought was an aficionado on cigars turned out he was not so much of one. We went into the store and I asked what I should buy, he pointed to a 20 dollar one. I asked why that one? "Cuz' it's 20 dollars!"

So I ended up buying 3 cigars. Two for me, and one for another friend who was busy and couldn't come with us.

I'm curious how did I do? I just bought 3 random ones. Here's a pic:

The one on top is an "Imported Ashton Made by Hand"
The middle one is a "Rocky Patel Vintage 1990" (Was born in 1990 so I figured why not?)
And the last is another Rocky Patel, "Decade 10th Anniversary"

Good, bad, no idea? I don't plan to smoke them for a while.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Did pretty good, though if your knew to cigars have something in your stomach before smoking those Patels.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you picked some good ones, but damn...your cigar shop is expensive!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ashton should be a good start for you if you are new to cigar.  They are mild body with pretty decent flavors.  I highly recommend you enjoy your cigar after dinner, when you have your cake.

Rocky Patel is Vintage 1990 OKAY, but is a full body cigar, so you might not want to smoke that one the first time out.  

The Decade is sort of a Mild to Medium body cigar, which you might enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rocky Patel is Vintage 1990 OKAY, but is a full body cigar, so you might not want to smoke that one the first time out.  

Wow, first person I heard say a RP Vintage 90 is just OK.

Most people hold them in fairly high regard as a smooth tasting medium+ blend that smokes excellent.

In any case to the OP,
You actually did pretty well.
The Ashton is very mild. But decent.
The Decade is another winner from RP and a little stronger
The 1990 is always a winner

Prices are way high at your store, but you will get to know pricing after a while.

Like others have said, make sure you smoke on a full stomach or you will be green at the gills.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I too hold them in the OKAY category. The RP 1992 is a bit better, but the 1990 is just OKAY.

I rate the 1990 a 8 out of 10 and the 1992 a 8.6 out of 10.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taste is a very personnel thing, ones opinion can and will be different from another.  I have found people throwing away Monticristo A after a few puffs, which I consider it a crime, and others love those $1 stick from JR stating those are the best they smoked.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taste is a very personnel thing, ones opinion can and will be different from another.  I have found people throwing away Monticristo A after a few puffs, which I consider it a crime, and others love those $1 stick from JR stating those are the best they smoked.

Very true. Hell some people love Macanudos
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You did pretty good.  As others have said... make sure you eat before you smoke that Patel 1990 since you're new to cigars.  Also, I prefer the 1992 above the 1990.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks delicious!

+1 on the 1992's but the '90 is still a damn fine cigar.

You're ahead of the curve, when I was 18 someone bought me a pack of Swisher wood tips and I thought they were great!
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks delicious!

+1 on the 1992's but the '90 is still a damn fine cigar.

You're ahead of the curve, when I was 18 someone bought me a pack of Swisher wood tips and I thought they were great!

See, now you guys have gone and done it.

I LOVE the RP 1990's, and have never tried the 1992's for whatever reason. So there you guys talking up the '92 and I put in a couple of bids for some

Can't take you guys anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies. Still haven't smoked any of them. Waiting for a good time when I can actually sit down and enjoy it. I'll try and find a new cigar shop for better prices.

I also completed my first rifle purchase earlier today

I went in looking to buy an AK47 but then a used ar15 caught my eye. Came with a cool little scope, should be great to plink with.

Ah the joys of turning 18!!! haha

Take it easy fellas

-Matt
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Still haven't smoked any of them. Waiting for a good time when I can actually sit down and enjoy it. I'll try and find a new cigar shop for better prices.

I went in looking to buy an AK47 but then a used ar15 caught my eye. Came with a cool little scope, should be great to plink with.

Take it easy fellas

-Matt

come on now lets see it
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take it easy fellas

-Matt

come on now lets see it

lol alright

I don't want to turn this thread into a gun thread, but there it is. Got it used, but the previous owner took really good care of it. The bolt looks decent and it was well lubed. Came with the scope as well which is decent. Came with one Thermold magazine (not shown). Later today I'll zero it in and post in the AR15 general discussion forum.

A special thanks to my fantastic uncle who without his VERY generous donation towards this rifle I would be holding a WASR-10 instead. Needless to say I am very pleased so far with my purchase.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
looks good,  good job buddy and enjoy your birthday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top