Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2007 12:03:13 AM EDT
Hitting various FAQs produces quite a few answers, though most go with the 'remove the cigar from its cellophane wrapper' recommendation for storage.

What say ye, Arfcom? Cellophane wrapper on or off? And if it came in a tube, leave it in the tube or not?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Removed, I don't have a particular reason for it but I'd assume sometimes moisture wouldn't get in the wrapper, or too much would stay locked in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Always leave it in or on.  They stay more stable that way I find.  Some people like to unwrap so the oils from different sticks can marry, but i prefer just to let them be.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've usually take the wrappers off when I place a nicely seasoned cigar/cigars in my "presentation" humidor. I have 3 humidors and when they are stored in long storage the wrappers/tubes stay on. Let me tell you though,I've read on a cigar forum that it's best to leave the wrappers on just in case you buy a box that is contaminated with the tobbacco beetle. Man,those suckers will go through your whole humidor in a couple weeks! That's why some of my friends will put their cigars in the fridge for a day to kill off the beetles,if present. I've never done this,but I've heard fron several folks that it works. Also the longer you keep the cigar in the wrapper,the darker the wrapper gets! It just makes the cigar look soooo beautiful!!! I actually keep a few wrappers in my desk just to look at in anticipation of firing one up,also to compare with other wrappers. Crazy,huh?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Normally I leave my cigars in the cellophane....however I make sure that the the end of the cellophane isn't pinched shut...I purposely open up the ends if that makes any sense.  I keep the cellophane on b/c I've heard about the oils of different cigar wrappers mixing and also just for protection of the wrapper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I leave the wrapper on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep mine as the arrive until I go to give them to someone... and only if I'm not too lazy to just hand it over with the cellophane still on it.

They age just fine and they aren't air-tight, so it really doesn't matter too much.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Remove, they slow down the aging action which is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep them on if I have different sticks but if it's all the same cigar, I let them out of the yard. When I first started, I would unwrap all my cigars and have severl different together in the humidor. I've found I prefer to expereience the cigar as it was meant to be, not with a hint of another stick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
From Cigar Aficionado:

Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops. But once you've bought the cigar and are placing it in your humidor, we recommend you remove the cellophane. Cellophane will prevent humidity from reaching the cigar, and you'll find the cigars will respond to humidification better if the overwrap has been removed. The same holds true for cigar tubes, whether glass or aluminum; these tubes will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on. However, if you intend to transport your cigars \(such as in a coat pocket\), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, that's odd, I've never had a problem with cigar humidity cause of wrappers, and it's pretty dry here.  I am a bit of a fanatic about checking the humidity levels in my humidors though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've taken a few Gurkha Expeditions and  removed them from their wrappers. I'll give 'em a month or two, then burn one from its wrapper, and one that I removed from the wrapper, and see if there is any difference.

I doubt there will be, but what the hell, it'll be fun to try.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've taken a few Gurkha Expeditions and  removed them from their wrappers. I'll give 'em a month or two, then burn one from its wrapper, and one that I removed from the wrapper, and see if there is any difference.

I doubt there will be, but what the hell, it'll be fun to try.

Hmm, not a bad idea, I may join you in that experiment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I decided to open the end of my wrappers. I hope they wont "marry" like ratters said since I did that. I dont need my 3 Onyx (my babies) to taste like an "average" of everything in my humidor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I decided to open the end of my wrappers. I hope they wont "marry" like ratters said since I did that. I dont need my 3 Onyx (my babies) to taste like an "average" of everything in my humidor.

Don't stress, it takes a long time to do that, and even then the effect is pretty subtle.

Well, unless you put some normal cigars in with some Acids.  I wouldn't do that. I have a whole separate humidor for my smelly cigars.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
The wrapper is for protecting them from shipping, not for humidity purposes.

It also makes it convienent for stores to put a price on them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top