Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2007 9:40:06 PM EDT
So out of curiosity, how are you lighting your cigars? I'm using a disposable lighter for the time being, but when it goes, I think I'll be trying a refillable butane lighter of some sort...

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
GF got me a zippo as a present for getting a degree.

For sentimental reasons, I use that.

I've never tasted a difference no mater how I light it.

Use a match to light a piece of cedar and use the cedar to light the cigar?   Too much work.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
while i love zippos i don't use them on cigars. i use a butane touch and toast the end good then give it a few draws and let it stabilize itself.

cedar strips are good, a match is ok if you let it burn all the sufure off first,bic lighter also.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a few torches, and a converted zippo, also I have a Zippo Blue on order.

Other than that, sometimes, I use a cedar strip, you know, the hobby thing.

One day, I would like to go to a cigar bar, watch a experienced waitress light my cigar slowly with a long cedar strip.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So out of curiosity, how are you lighting your cigars? I'm using a disposable lighter for the time being, but when it goes, I think I'll be trying a refillable butane lighter of some sort...

The best are cedar matches, cigar aficionados say that the oil from a lighter detracts the taste.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a disposable if I'm out and about. A propane blowtorch if I'm at home.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I started using wooden matches but have since switched over to a butane lighter.

I have not found any discernible difference between the two.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

$1 bills. Gives the best flavor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$1 bills. Gives the best flavor.

Cheapskate..
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what I use, It is a Lotus triple flame torch lighter. It works great the only downside is its size, it fills your hand. I like the size because it is hard to misplace.

Lighter

*edit to fix link*

Palmer
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
zippo casing with the guts replaced with a Z Plus butane torch insert
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Colibri Firebird
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Zippo Blu
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
stick matches
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I use my colibri torch most of the time, though occasionally I use my zippo cause it's an arfcom zippo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
fire.

some poo poo zippos. i haven't noticed a difference. of course im sure my tastebuds are fried.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I use one of my torches 99% of the time, but if it's a supra-good smoke, I use a cedar spline or at least a stick match after letting all the sulfur burn off.

Splines and matches are a pain if it's windy...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I have this torch that wont die. I broke two Colibri's...Then I bought this POS torch at a gas station when I was in a pinch for 6.00

It is the best lighter I ever bought. Been through the wash, in a lake, dropped lost, etc..it wont die.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually do the Monica Lewinski with my stogies.....damn hard to light after that for some reason
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two butane lighters but I prefer to use wooden matches if possible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Found a free promo on the Zippoblu. I use that now. My Colibries' kept breaking.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I always use wooden stick matches to light my pipe.

With cigarettes I can taste the difference between a Bic, Zippo, matches, or a car lighter. Car lighters taste the worst by far.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]
soft flame butane,st dupont is the best,but not cheap. torches destroy cigars.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been using a Zippo Blu butane now for a month.  It is by far the best butane I have ever used.  Including the expensive ones.  My only complaint is I am on my 3rd flink.  They would last me 6 months in my other Zippos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top