Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:46:29 PM EDT
I'm beginning to get into cigars and purchased a few at Bevmo, I know, tonight while I was there. I have some others on order via the interweb. I bought an Acid just out of curiosity. A Kuba Kuba to be exact.

I didn't like it, at all. I don't know the proper term, but it was very 'hot'. Not necessarily smooth, but rather not enjoyable to smoke. Is this commonplace with said cigar, or was I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks
Josh
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about cigars, I smoke maybe 8-10 a year.

I enjoy the acids though.  It's not the smoke I enjoy but the taste is leaves on my lips.  

Just my opinion....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are "infused" with flavors and as you found out....you don't like them.
It's OK...neither do I....like smoking a flower and not a cigar and who needs that shit!

As many will tell you, smoking cigars will be a matter of trial and error.
Many will say to grab a sampler and try those...you WILL find something you do like.
I listened...it worked...

Angry men...Kitchen Sink...find one and try some.
Most of the time you can get them pretty cheap.
But be warned...it will lead to much more spending.

AF Hemmingways are my "fall back" sticks.
Whenever I need to I can always count on them.
Short Story for the ride into work....Masterpiece after...

It is all a matter of finding what you like.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Those are "infused" with flavors and as you found out....you don't like them.
It's OK...neither do I....like smoking a flower and not a cigar and who needs that shit!

As many will tell you, smoking cigars will be a matter of trial and error.
Many will say to grab a sampler and try those...you WILL find something you do like.
I listened...it worked...

Angry men...Kitchen Sink...find one and try some.
Most of the time you can get them pretty cheap.
But be warned...it will lead to much more spending.

AF Hemmingways are my "fall back" sticks.
Whenever I need to I can always count on them.
Short Story for the ride into work....Masterpiece after...

It is all a matter of finding what you like.

Appreciate the response.

I had just heard so "much" about them, neither good nor bad. I thought I would try one. I was joking with my friend as we smoked tonight - The Acid was like a Skoal Apple, versus, Copenhagen Snuff. I do chew, Copenhagen, not the other varieties sought to draw in the masses. That's how I feel about an Acid. I'd rather have a well built, excellent and smooth cigar, versus one that is not as well built, and infused with flavor, if that makes sense.

I guess I'll just continue on my quest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries.....

Look up Slavac's Review post.....many good cigars with lots of comments.
Be warned....they will lead you down the dark path.

Yep, I built a cooladore.....yep, I am on CBID...yep, CI has my CC number on file...yep, the mailroom guy just gives me nod when he brings the boxes.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't like it, at all. I don't know the proper term, but it was very 'hot'. Not necessarily smooth, but rather not enjoyable to smoke. Is this commonplace with said cigar, or was I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks
Josh

I used to like the acid cigar line and the acid natural line but have moved on to better cigars.
Don't get me wrong, once in a while I will still smoke one of them.

My guess is that your saying it was hot as in the smoke was too hot, a hot draw could mean you are smoking too fast.
Drawing on the cigar deeply too soon after the last puff can do this, or if you are constantly puffing away.

It could also be that the cigar was too dry, a dry cigar will obviously burn faster than a moist one.
So essentially you smoked too fast for the condition of the cigar, if that makes sense to you.

Or it could be that you just dont like the Kuba Kuba, try some others and see how you like them,

edit because I forgot to spellcheck lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
People who don't smoke cigars very often tend to be the people that enjoy ACID cigars.  Until you develop a palette, real cigars can taste harsh and the infused cigars are easier to handle.  I have also seen some of the wives that come to big cigar events smoking a flavored cigar but this falls back into the people who don't smoke very often category.  The women that smoke regularly have their cigar of choice just like the men.  It just so happens that usually the novice smokers at big cigar events are typically women that tag along with their husbands or boyfriends.

I compare it to when you start drinking.  To most people beer or whiskey taste horrible at first.  Some guys drink it anyway until they enjoy it.  Some guys drink wine coolers or zima or something until they get shamed into drinking something respectable.  ACID is like the wine cooler of smoking cigars.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I personally can't stand Acids, I think cigars should get their flavor from the type of leaf and curing process used, not from flavoring agents. That said, if you mean the cigar was temperature hot that usually indicates you were drawing on it too fast. Try waiting a little longer between draws.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I compare it to when you start drinking.  To most people beer or whiskey taste horrible at first.  Some guys drink it anyway until they enjoy it.  Some guys drink wine coolers or zima or something until they get shamed into drinking something respectable.  ACID is like the wine cooler of smoking cigars.

This...most people say you cant enjoy a beer until you have had about six of them and then they grow on you

as for your acid being hot
could have been dry
could be smoking too fast
but i think the infusing oils kind of add to the hot taste your getting
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I still smoke a blue now and then.  The 1400 cc's are good, Blondie & kuba kuba.  In that order.

The rest of the line blows goats.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm beginning to get into cigars and purchased a few at Bevmo, I know, tonight while I was there. I have some others on order via the interweb. I bought an Acid just out of curiosity. A Kuba Kuba to be exact.

Thanks
Josh

Bevmo is not a good place to purchase cigar, their "humidor" are not very well kept, especially for drier climates like AZ, NV, and CA.
Go to a good cigar store, I think there is a Fairoaks Cigar near Phoenix, if you live nearby.

As far as Acid concerns, yes, I have tasted one (free from my borther), and it wind up tossing it into the ashtray after 2 or 3 puffs.
I also went dwn the path of Drew Estate Kahula, which is one of the first box of cigar I bought, something I won't do again.

Start with mild body cigars like Ashton, Oliva G, or Davidoff, and work your way up the chain.  
There are many good hand made cigars out there to waste your time with infused flavor cigars, although both Acid and CAO have good looking chicks in their ad for flavored cigars.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Never had an Acid I liked, tried a few, won't be trying anymore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I only like the 1400 and that's once in a blue moon when I feel like having that one.

OP smoke what you like.  I don't much care for them, but if you do, great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doesn't sound like he is a fan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't sound like he is a fan.

Hahaha not at all.  I had one recently that had a wrapper that tasted exactly like NutraSweet.  The manuf of that cigar should be beaten with a rather large halibut for that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried one Acid. Never again.

Way too over-flavored. I only smoked a little bit, then threw it in the campfire. Stunk up the area for quite a while. Ugh.

I guess I just like the taste of tobacco.

If someone told me there were Acids that are better than whatever the heck I smoked, I would never risk believing them. I don't care. Any company that could manufacture that atrocity has been crossed off my list. Life is too short.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I enjoy the acids though.  It's not the smoke I enjoy but the taste is leaves on my lips.  

Just my opinion....

Have you tried a lollipop?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my opinion....

Have you tried a lollipop?  

BURN!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd venture to say most cigar nuts view flavored or infused cigars as most gun nuts view airsoft.

Why would you waste high quality tobacco with artificial flavoring? You wouldn't. Neither do the companies that make flavored cigars.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Smoked one on a dare, never again. Can't stand acids, I always feel bad for the guy sitting at the cigar shop smoking an acid wondering why everyone is staring at him.

Edit; where in AZ do you live? If you're Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa hit me up and I can turn you on to some non flavored sticks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Smoked one on a dare, never again. Can't stand acids, I always feel bad for the guy sitting at the cigar shop smoking an acid wondering why everyone is staring at him.

Edit; where in AZ do you live? If you're Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa hit me up and I can turn you on to some non flavored sticks.

Opposite end of the Valley. Surprise, way way way NW. I'm  gonna hit up a few cigar shops in the next few days - My humidor is in the mail - I'd like to season that first, correctly If I may add, and go from there. I'm thinking of ordering a mild-medium sampler off of CI and seeing what I enjoy. I had a few puffs of my buddies Rocky Patel Connecticut tonight. THAT I liked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opposite end of the Valley. Surprise, way way way NW. I'm  gonna hit up a few cigar shops in the next few days - My humidor is in the mail - I'd like to season that first, correctly If I may add, and go from there. I'm thinking of ordering a mild-medium sampler off of CI and seeing what I enjoy. I had a few puffs of my buddies Rocky Patel Connecticut tonight. THAT I liked.

Get'em off of Cigar Bid instead OP.  They're CI's sister site, with the same exact cigars (same company, same warehouse) that CI sells, but for significantly less.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get'em off of Cigar Bid instead OP.  They're CI's sister site, with the same exact cigars (same company, same warehouse) that CI sells, but for significantly less.

That's what I meant - actually purchased my humidor from there. I smoked a Casa Magna Colorado Robusto tonight. Thoughts Slavic?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I meant - actually purchased my humidor from there. I smoked a Casa Magna Colorado Robusto tonight. Thoughts Slavic?

I'd rather volunteer to play catcher in a gangbang full of rusty rakes than smoke another Casa Manga cigar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
One more question Slavic - sorry to keep bothering you - I liked the RP Connecticut, good cigar?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to piggy back but I don't want to start a new thread.

I smoked a Acid Blonde and liked it.  Can anyone suggest a cigar that's similar for someone just starting out?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Amen on the casa magna, complete and utter trash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One more question Slavic - sorry to keep bothering you - I liked the RP Connecticut, good cigar?

You're not bugging me broseph, this is my hobby.

RP makes some decent cigars, but they're not my favorite line at all.  

Do what you were planning on doing: Spend $200 buying a few CI samplers and smoke your way through them.  You'll make up your own mind with the quickness as to what you like/dislike.

Half:  The only cigars that will compare are other acids.  I'd smoke through their line, but definitely try the 1400.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd rather volunteer to play catcher in a gangbang full of rusty rakes than smoke another Casa Manga cigar.

I almost pissed myself laughing........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top