Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:03 PM EDT
My air conditioner has been working fine the last few months, then today I happened to notice it was a bit warm and went out to check on it it and it wasn't running. The blower unit in the garage is working and blowing air through the vents, but the outdoor unit isn't doing anything at all. Condenser isn't running, fan isn't running. I've checked the fuses. Any ideas? I had to have the fan motor and a capacitor replaced a few months back. Getting old.. wondering if I should just look into a new unit, even though I don't really have the cash.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine iced over last night. Changed all my filters and clean the outside unit, damn that thing was dirty. Now it's quiter and runs cooler, this has been added to my to do list once a year now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
you checked the 220ac in and out of the fuse, also check the 24vac , there is a contact inside , it or it's 24v control power could be out. there is usually a 24vac transformer in the outside unit, but I have seen them in the home.

24vac to coil of contact w/ ac on
220vac on both sides of contact

if both , bad fan motor.

I would just fix it, cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
you checked the 220ac in and out of the fuse, also check the 24vac , there is a contact inside , it or it's 24v control power could be out. there is usually a 24vac transformer in the outside unit, but I have seen them in the home.

24vac to coil of contact w/ ac on
220vac on both sides of contact

if both , bad fan motor.

I would just fix it, cheaper.

If it's a bad fan motor the compressor would still be going.  Put your hand to the copper pipes going to the condensor unit.  If they are hot, then your condensor is still pumping.  If not, there is no pumping, and it is most likely a power issue.  Try to "jump off" the unit.  With the thermostat on, and calling for cool, VERY CAREFULLY push in the contact switch inside your unit.  Use a screwdriver with an insulated handle.  See if the unit comes on and stays on.  Your switch could be burned up, or capacitor bad.  

A few weeks ago, mine stopped working.  The air handler would run, but nothing outside.  A millipede had crawled into my switch outside and burned to a crisp, preventing contact.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine iced over last night. Changed all my filters and clean the outside unit, damn that thing was dirty. Now it's quiter and runs cooler, this has been added to my to do list once a year now.

Everyone who has an outside AC should clean their outside coil (condensing unit).  I buy a product from Lowes.  It's a foaming cleaner specifically for cleaning coils.  I clean the air handler coil as well as the outside coil with the same cleaning product.  Once the coil is cleaned, I then wax the outside unit with a spray on wax.

Keep all brush, weeds, and grass away from the unit.  A small restriction in the air flow GREATLY reduces the efficieny of the unit.

I spray mine down with the hose after each time that I mow the grass.  I do a thorough cleaning once a year of the air handler in the fall after the cooling season is over and then clean the outside coil completely twice a year, spring and fall (have a heat pump so the outside unit runs year round).
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's dead outside check the drain line, use a shop vac from outside to clean it out. It may have backed up and tripped a float switch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Turns out that a spider crawled onto the contactor and burned up. The unit was getting power, but was physically unable to make contact and start up. $25 to fix. Thanks for the tips, everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top