Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 7:15:28 PM EDT
After a year of labor my front yard is finished. Problem: the small side yard, which I filled with fine quartz gravel, has turned into a doggie toilet. I don't know where the dog is coming from (I live on a court, and have not seen any dogs out in daytime), but my bedroom widow is right underneath the gravel, and the stench wafting in makes it impossible to sleep with the window open.

Last night was the last straw. At midnight, I heard a dog yapping, then the stink came in the widow. Plus it rained last night, and the stench was intolerable. I've picked up a few poops before, but when I went out there a while ago to collect the latest poop, I found that there was pile after pile buried under the gravel, which has only been there for a month....I guess the rain activated the stink factor.

So....how can I keep the dog off my yard?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sprinkle red pepper or Old Bay Seasoning?

Get a motion sensor lawn sprinkler?

Caltrops?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You think a motion sensor and a big-ass light would deter the hound?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]

I lol'd  

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Hot wire/electric fence.

My hounds(boxers) kept escaping my huge back yard. Just scale the chainlink fence and head out to pee on the entire neighborhood, and make love to all the girl dogs in the vicinity!

I put up a hotwire around the perimeter...and the escapes are over! They won't go near the wire now. Don't even need the fence to be on after a month or so.

If it will keep the dogs in, I imagine it will keep them out too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Motion activated sprinkler(s).
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
that hot pepper mix shit they sell at hardware stores is effective
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Want

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
tiger or big beastly urine? sprinkle it around yard?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The motion activated sprinkler works well. I have seen it modified to discourage spraypaint graffiti on CMU black fences, and to protect sandboxes from cats.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it a little rat-dog?

Get one of these
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess these are someone else's dogs?

Ask them twice to keep them out of your yard. The second time you ask them tell them you'll call animal control. When it happens the third time, actually call animal control.

It isn't your responsibility to keep dogs out of your yard. It is the owners' responsibility to keep their dogs IN theirs.

ETA; saw that you don't know whose dog it is. Just call AC.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top