Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 9:16:03 PM EDT
I am trying to finish this house so I can sell it. I need to redo the kitchen as it looks like shit.

First the cabinets. They are wood - looks like pine - in some cases its plywood with a pine veneer. It had a clear sealer on it and I sanded it all off. I want to paint it and I need to know:

1) The sanding is rough - I used 50 grit to get that crap off of it. Do I need to use a 180 to get it smoother, or since I am painting it it wont matter.

2) What paint to use? I want it too look good - and last - but it doesn't have to last forever. I thought enamel or oil based would look better, but Latex would be easier and probably cheaper. Advice?

I am going to replace the backsplash with tiles and the counters. I need to know:

3) What order should I do this in? Do I demo the counter, then add back splash and then add the new counter? Or perhaps demo, add counter, finish back splash. What about the cabinets - should I do them at any point or in a specific order.

When ever I do ANYTHING remotely handy it takes me 5x longer than anyone else - so I am trying to get some advice to make it go easier.

thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
1) The sanding is rough - I used 50 grit to get that crap off of it. Do I need to use a 180 to get it smoother, or since I am painting it it wont matter.
I would have used a good cleaner and an oil based primer and then painted with oil or latex. If you really got them scuffed up good you will have to smooth them out, especially if you want to final coat with oil.

2) What paint to use? I want it too look good - and last - but it doesn't have to last forever. I thought enamel or oil based would look better, but Latex would be easier and probably cheaper. Advice?
Oil primer... choose your paint.

I am going to replace the backsplash with tiles and the counters. I need to know:

3) What order should I do this in? Do I demo the counter, then add back splash and then add the new counter? Or perhaps demo, add counter, finish back splash. What about the cabinets - should I do them at any point or in a specific order.
Demo counter, paint cabinets, install new counter and install backsplash.

When ever I do ANYTHING remotely handy it takes me 5x longer than anyone else - so I am trying to get some advice to make it go easier.
Good luck.

thanks!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to find some primer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Use an enamel undercoater as your primer –– available as a latex-based or oil-based.  Seals things up better and will provide a smoother topcoat.  As for your topcoat, take a look at Ben Moore's Satin Impervo.  It's expensive, but considered one of the best cabinet/trim paints in the industry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a cup gun or airless sprayer and laquer undercoater

Spray it a few coats and sand it until smooth.   repeat until you get a smooth finish

The laquer undercoater will melt together on each coat to help hide some imperfections and it sands really easy.

Then finish it with whatever you like but I personally use satin laquer.

If you use any other latex or oil primer you cannot sand it (you will just make a gummy mess)

IM me if you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top