Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 6:45:11 AM EDT
My trusty 10 delta died today. I found out it limitations when doing 4 /12" baseboard. But I like the size. the 12" ones seem so huge. I use the miter to cut mostly moulding. Which should i get. 10 or 12"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the 12" that doubles as a radial arm saw.

I have a Delta 10" and find it undersized, it was fine for a very long time until I took on larger projects that involved framing.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends what you are getting.  A mitre saw or a dual compound sliding mitre saw.  I have the second one in 10" by Makita.  Great saw.  I alos like the Bosch.  When this one goes (or I can justify to myself the expense) I will be picking up a Festool Kapex KS 120.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends what you are getting.  A mitre saw or a dual compound sliding mitre saw.  I have the second one in 10" by Makita.  Great saw.  I alos like the Bosch.  When this one goes (or I can justify to myself the expense) I will be picking up a Festool Kapex KS 120.

I have the 12" compound sliding Bosch. I can compare it with my Delta 10" compound slider and 12" DeWalt & Rigid compound sliders (not mine but I've worked with them extensively over the last few years). If you will be cutting on a bevel often the Bosch is the one you want. You loosen the tilt mechanism up front, not by reaching around back. That saves time and energy. Its dust bag is worthless compared to all the other machines I've mentioned though. I would prefer the handle to be centered over the blade also because of one somewhat awkward position. It isn't so much the position of the handle, it is the fact that it has safety buttons on it. If you defeat them you can have a better grip on your tool/material.

I would like to see this new Festool deal in person, I'm intrigued but I can't see it making me any faster or better and it is so much more money. If I thought it would make my life any better I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I don't see myself walking away from this kind of work any time soon and I know how small conveniences stack up. Especially if you know there is a better way.

WARNING: RANT

Why won't somebody make a miter saw with a slot in the table to easily slide in 1/4" ply so you can have a zero kerf insert? This would prevent those small cuts from falling in and against the #$%&*+ blade. I hate hearing "binnnnnng" as a little cut flies across the damn room. %^&*@!

</rant>
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a building contractor and have both a 10" & 12" DeWalt compound saws. I use the 10"   85 times more than the 12". The 10" is smaller and fits in more places. For as little as i use the 12" it was a wast to buy. Also I am trimming 5000 to 6000 square foot summer homes with 3 1/2" trim and 5 1/2' base and still use the 10". Once in a wile I use the 10" to cut wide crown.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the 12" compound sliding Bosch. I can compare it with my Delta 10" compound slider and 12" DeWalt & Rigid compound sliders (not mine but I've worked with them extensively over the last few years). If you will be cutting on a bevel often the Bosch is the one you want. You loosen the tilt mechanism up front, not by reaching around back. That saves time and energy. Its dust bag is worthless compared to all the other machines I've mentioned though. I would prefer the handle to be centered over the blade also because of one somewhat awkward position. It isn't so much the position of the handle, it is the fact that it has safety buttons on it. If you defeat them you can have a better grip on your tool/material.

I would like to see this new Festool deal in person, I'm intrigued but I can't see it making me any faster or better and it is so much more money. If I thought it would make my life any better I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I don't see myself walking away from this kind of work any time soon and I know how small conveniences stack up. Especially if you know there is a better way.

WARNING: RANT

Why won't somebody make a miter saw with a slot in the table to easily slide in 1/4" ply so you can have a zero kerf insert? This would prevent those small cuts from falling in and against the #$%&*+ blade. I hate hearing "binnnnnng" as a little cut flies across the damn room. %^&*@!

</rant>

I know what you mean about loosing those small pieces.  Especially when I am cutting a tiny piece on a 45 for a base or apron return.  It's aggravating.

As far as the Kapex, you should go see it in person.  It's awesome.  One of the nice things about it is the weight.  at 47 lbs it's a lot easier to lug around than most other saws in the 60 lb range.  If I worked in a shop I wouldn't care but I have to drag my Maki around everywhere.  That things takes some serious abuse.

edit: spelling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a building contractor and have both a 10" & 12" DeWalt compound saws. I use the 10"   85 times more than the 12". The 10" is smaller and fits in more places. For as little as i use the 12" it was a wast to buy. Also I am trimming 5000 to 6000 square foot summer homes with 3 1/2" trim and 5 1/2' base and still use the 10". Once in a wile I use the 10" to cut wide crown.

when you cut the 5 1/2 you lay it flat? how accurate do you find it if you do lay it flat?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
12".  If you aren't angling the blade, a 10" does well... but once you get an angle in there, you run into things that they won't make it through.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
12" slider if you can swing the money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
a makita 10" slider is a good compromise.  I picked mine up for 399 at home depot.

We actually use our two 10" saws the most, then the slider and least use is the 12" chop but a all around get a 10" slider.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

when you cut the 5 1/2 you lay it flat? how accurate do you find it if you do lay it flat?

I always cut crown flat, never nested, and I alwys get good results.  Real off angles require some trial and error but most of my cuts end up being outside 90s or inside copes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It all depends on what you want.

I got a Craftsman Professional 12" slide compound on sale for $499 after watching it for about 2 years.

It's a first class piece and will do damn near anything you need to do but it IS bigger and heavier than a 10".

I figure if you're going to spend the money anyway you might as well get the big one. It just gives you more capability.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I always say go big or go home.  Seriously though if you get the 10 inch at some point down the road you will find it to be to small and want to kick yourself for not getting the 12 inch.  That being said i do finish work and various other projects on a regular basis and have both.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
buy the dewalt 12 inch sllider- best saw ever made-
then go to home depot and get their portable miter saw stand-
you can do anything with this combo- and it is easy to move-
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
buy the dewalt 12 inch sllider- best saw ever made-
then go to home depot and get their portable miter saw stand-
you can do anything with this combo- and it is easy to move-

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the Dewalt 12" being the best saw ever made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have a 12" Dewalt slider.  It is indeed a heavy saw.  I picked up a 10" Hitachi slider for a more portable set up.  Having said that, there are few things that I have absolutely needed a 12" slider for.  Most stuff can be accomplished with a 10" slider.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]
12 compound mitre w/slider, that goes past 45 degrees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top