Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2009 10:01:07 AM EDT
I have a few of these flat style light switches in my house.

The one in the bathroom went out so I assumed a simple single pole switch would be the ticket. Well, after looking at it, I thought a 3 way was being used, yet this circuit is not a 3 way circuit.

Describing the current switch and hook up;
There are 2 constant 'hot' leads attached to the switch; The upper and lower on the left side of the switch. These leads are not affected by the position of the switch and are always 'hot'.

The lead attached to the lower right hand side of the switch is affected by the switch and sends power when the switch is flipped to the 'On' position.

What the hell kind of switch is this and why does it have 2 constant 'hot' leads attached to it? BTW, all of these switches seem to be wired the same way.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I would assume that one of the wires that is always hot is just a continuation to another device (such as the switch next to it, or an outlet) as opposed to a second leg of power.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
ETA: I can't see how many wires are hooked up to those switches.

Two hot would seem to be a 3-way set up. That or the switch is broken.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
never seen one like that. my only guess is that it some how has a common hot with the switch next to it in the box, like you would do with a pig tail. it would show constant hot as it is the feed to the other switch. Are both of those switchs on the same circuit? Its hard to tell with the pics.

How many wires are actually running out of the wall and into the switch? Is it the same as the other switch in the box?

Maybe try to take some better pics  with each switch pulled as far out as possible.

J-
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It could also be a 3-way circuit where you just don't know the location of the other switch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it.

The hot was pig-tailed to get power to other places.

All is repaired.

Thanks for youir help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top