Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 1:51:47 PM EDT
Anyone use these heaters? Do they really save you money?

http://www.edenpuresale.com/
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Biggest crock of bullshit ever. Go to a hardware store and buy an electric heater with the same wattage as one of those idiodic things that are supposed to defy physics. I don't give a damn what they say, there is only so many BTUs in a KW of electricity, no matter how fancy Mr. Jone's copper sheet next to his god damned furnace heated up. Horseshit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Biggest crock of bullshit ever. Go to a hardware store and buy an electric heater with the same wattage as one of those idiodic things that are supposed to defy physics. I don't give a damn what they say, there is only so many BTUs in a KW of electricity, no matter how fancy Mr. Jone's copper sheet next to his god damned furnace heated up. Horseshit.

Agreed.  

Electrical resistance heat is the most expensive way to heat a room in most places.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Edenpures are known for their high rate of returns.  Might want to take a look at Comfort Zone.  Better units for the same price.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they work or not.  I've heard both arguments –– I do know that we've sold over 50 of them (Edenpures) in the last 3 weeks and people are raving about them.

Here are some points why they claim the infrared heaters are better:
Heats objects (moisture), not the air = keeps the heat near the floor.  Also, the moist heat is supposed to "feel" warmer compared to a dry radiant heat.
Preserves humidity in the air.
Not a fire hazard.

I have an employee that's using 2 of these heaters as the only source of heat for his 2000 sq. ft. home just fine at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Edenpures are known for their high rate of returns.  Might want to take a look at Comfort Zone.  Better units for the same price.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they work or not.  I've heard both arguments –– I do know that we've sold over 50 of them (Edenpures) in the last 3 weeks and people are raving about them.

Here are some points why they claim the infrared heaters are better:
Heats objects (moisture), not the air = keeps the heat near the floor.  Also, the moist heat is supposed to "feel" warmer compared to a dry radiant heat.
Preserves humidity in the air.
Not a fire hazard.

I have an employee that's using 2 of these heaters as the only source of heat for his 2000 sq. ft. home just fine at the moment.

I hope he has one in the basement, because it is going to be very expensive when his pipes freeze.

Heat rises, so they can make all the claims they want to, but that edenpure heater does not defy the laws of physics. All the edenpure is, is a bunch of infrared light bulbs, applying their light through crystals (to direct and intensify the light), to a copper heat sink, and I think there is a fan on the top of it. That is it. You get the same heat output as a 5000w resistive heat element, and if they want to get real fancy, you can get a piece of copper sheet formed around the damn thing, and that will give you the same effect. If you put those electric heaters (that cost about 30 bucks), in the rooms that you normally use, and close the other doors, it is going to feel the same, just be cheaper, or you can buy oil filled radiators, which will heat up the oil, which stay warmer longer than a resistive heat element type setup. Edenpures are the biggest scam, and a lot of people are getting sucked into buying them, and you can bet with the economy this winter, people are going to be running these in their living areas instead of running their main heat source, and their pipes are going to freeze and burst, and they are going to be up shit creek without a paddle, canoe, or a life jacket.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
A box full of light bulbs is hardly a heating breakthrough.

They might lower you bill if you live in the same room as the heater and turn the overall heat down.

Of course ANY spot heater would do the same thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top