Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2008 8:14:08 AM EDT
I've got 6 doors to hang and I'm curious if anyone has any tips.  I've got the basics down and have done the framing, but hangin doors is new to me.  

Ive got teh shims, the 3in screws, etc.  Just slap the door and frame into the framing and square up and go???
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Step 1:  Ensure the hinge side of the rough opening is plumb
Step 2: double check rough opening width and height to make sure it is roughly 1/2" larger than pre-hung door frame

If hinge side is not plumb or rough opening is too large you may need to build up the rough opening sides or pre-shim the hinge side for plumbness

Step 3:  Attach hinge side of door frame to plumb rough opening side.  I usually try to do this with no shims assuming the rough opening side is plumb.  Also if you have not yet sheetrocked around the rough opening you can use a small piece of sheetrock as a guide to making the door frame flush with the finished wall surface

Step 4: shim latch side and top to ensure even reveal around all edges of closed door

So basically with the hinge side permanently attached close the door and look at the reveal between the actual door and the pre-hung frame.  Use the reveal on the hinge side as a guide for what the reveal should be on the other two sides.  Adjust the shims on all sides until you have a smooth shutting door with a consistent reveal then permanently attach the latch side and top to rough opening.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never shimmed the top of a pre-hung door frame, just the hinge and latch sides.  Is it necessary?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Step 1:  Ensure the hinge side of the rough opening is plumb
Step 2: double check rough opening width and height to make sure it is roughly 1/2" larger than pre-hung door frame

If hinge side is not plumb or rough opening is too large you may need to build up the rough opening sides or pre-shim the hinge side for plumbness

Step 3:  Attach hinge side of door frame to plumb rough opening side.  I usually try to do this with no shims assuming the rough opening side is plumb.  Also if you have not yet sheetrocked around the rough opening you can use a small piece of sheetrock as a guide to making the door frame flush with the finished wall surface

Step 4: shim latch side and top to ensure even reveal around all edges of closed door

So basically with the hinge side permanently attached close the door and look at the reveal between the actual door and the pre-hung frame.  Use the reveal on the hinge side as a guide for what the reveal should be on the other two sides.  Adjust the shims on all sides until you have a smooth shutting door with a consistent reveal then permanently attach the latch side and top to rough opening.

Thanks for the help.  This is exactly what I needed.  Once I started, what you suggested makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

fwiw... I did not shim the top because I was not/am not going to drive any screws into the top frame.  I'll keep my eye on things and make sure it all pans out... if need be I'll screw in the top of the frame.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never shimmed the top of a pre-hung door frame, just the hinge and latch sides.  Is it necessary?

Nope. I'm no carpenter extraordinaire but I've hung >50 doors in the last 10 yrs and never shimmed the top.

Previous post, with steps, seems right on. Hinge side of frame is most critical.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest using shims on both sides or the door.  Studs tend to be twisted quite often and if you nail the door directly to a stud the door may end up "loaded."  This happens when the jambs are riocked one way or another.  Also, use 2 1/2" trim nails for installation, not screws.

Set the prehung door in opening.  Use level to check top/sides.  If the bubble is off on top, trim doorjamb as needed to correct.

Set your first shim on the top hing side.  Nail just BELOW the shim.  This will hold the door in place and allow you to still adjust that shim until everything is plum.  The most important thing is reveal and sometimes doors are better set by measurement than level.  If the door is 2" away from a wall and that wall is out of plumb, if you set the door perfect plumb it will look off becasue the wall is off.  Once you are happy with your reveal, nail the top shim.  Then set the other 5 shims and nail off.  No need to ship the top.

Like I said before, it is more important to make the door look perfect than be perfect.  If the framing is off in a house, and it often is, it is the trim carpenters job to make the doors apear right.  Anyone who comes into a house and sets everything by level when the walls are off level is a hack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top