Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:23 AM EDT
I have a gate going to my backyard that I want to re-hang so that it swings in the opposite direction. Doing that means that I have to completely remove and reinstall the hinges. This is a wooden gate, hanging on wooden posts. The trouble is, I'm not really sure how to do it properly so that everything is level and opens straight. How do you actually drill the hinge holes in the right positions on the post and the gate?

I was thinking something like take measurements for the height of both post hinges, then clamp them to the post and get a dowel the diameter of the hinge pins that's long enough to run from the top to the bottom. I could run that through both hinges to keep them lined up and then use a level on the dowel to get it straight, then drill through the screw holes in the hinges and bolt them in place.

Then I could put hinge pins and gate hinges back on. For the gate, maybe I could drill one hole for the top hinge, and bolt it temporarily to the top hinge through that hole. Then try to clamp the bottom hinge on or something and get the gate leveled, then drill the rest of the holes through the hinges. Unless the hinges are too wobbly by themselves for the gate to hang level with the holes lined up properly.

Does this plan make sense? Does anyone have a better one?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do I hang a gate?

May I suggest lethal injection as a more PC alternative.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Home Depot and Lowes sell a gate kit that is self squaring and does not sag.
It containes 4 braced metal pieces for the corners and 2 hinges. It is by far the easiest and fastest way I have built a gate.

This is the kit. I have a double gate so I used two. No Sag gate Kit
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
need to make sure that the post that the gate will be hung from is plumb both ways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Home Depot and Lowes sell a gate kit that is self squaring and does not sag.
It containes 4 braced metal pieces for the corners and 2 hinges. It is by far the easiest and fastest way I have built a gate.

This is the kit. I have a double gate so I used two. No Sag gate Kit

Looks like it would work nicely for building a gate, but I already have the gate built. Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
need to make sure that the post that the gate will be hung from is plumb both ways.

I got that all set the weekend before last, installed a brace against the house to keep it plumb both ways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
use a floor jack or blocks of wood to get it at the right height . then fasten hinges
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top