Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 10:30:22 AM EDT
I travel for work and I'd like to be able to monitor and control my thermostat while I'm on the road.

I'm looking for something that I can access via my home wireless network.

Anyone install one? Have any recommendations? Reviews?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?

Never understood why people would want to spend money on that sort of thing for a house.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Mainly so I can set my thermostat to 80 or so in the summer, and then crank up the AC when I am on my way home. Vice-versa in the winter.

With my unpredictable travel schedule, I'm guessing the unit would pay for itself inside a year.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Get an X10.

X10
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out honeywell web site for commercial apps. I see them all the time at the places I work at
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.proliphix.com/
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Smart Home will have what you need
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I just installed HAI RC-2000's in both my upstairs system and my first floor/basement system.  I'm very happy so far, but have not done any programming of the schedule yet.  You can run them stand alone, with a internet access module due out in Q3 or connected to a HAI OmniPro home automation controller and tie it all in with your security, lighting, etc. (my not so distance future option)

link

I paid about $250 and installed both myself.  It handles both thermostat control as well as humidistat control so it cleaned up my wall too.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
link

Another good place to get HAI products from
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
link

Another good place to get HAI products from

I have a dealer account with Worthington Distribution and they are a full line HAI dealer as well as tons of other complimentrery and stand alone HA products.  THeir website leaves much to bedesired from a b2b standpoint, but their catalog, service and assistance are rock solid.

I have done a ton of research into programable and communicating thermostats for my own use, but it all depends what you looking to do with it and esp what your looking to integrate it with.  Let me know if I can help or I can point you towards more HA centric forums out there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a dealer account with Worthington Distribution and they are a full line HAI dealer as well as tons of other complimentrery and stand alone HA products.  THeir website leaves much to bedesired from a b2b standpoint, but their catalog, service and assistance are rock solid.

I have done a ton of research into programable and communicating thermostats for my own use, but it all depends what you looking to do with it and esp what your looking to integrate it with.  Let me know if I can help or I can point you towards more HA centric forums out there.

I'm really looking for something very simple:
1. I want to be able to view and change the thermostat controls from a pc.
2. I want the thermostat to connect with my home wireless network.
3. I don't need remote/internet connection, as I can simply VNC into my home network and control it from the road.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
most of those HAI systems allow you to long onto a homepage to monitor and controll settings.  I have no personal expirience with non-internet based ones but I know they make them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top