Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 5:59:16 PM EDT
I am thinking about it, nothing fancy, probably a one maybe 1 1/2 story cabin type thing. Probably have to sub electrical and foundation. Maybe 1000 sf or so
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Been involved in quite a few, not my own, and for that "friend" thing.

You can do it, just have to have the dedication for it.

Doing it all yourself is quite a lot of work, but it can be done
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have swung a hammer on a house or two.  I wasn't the lead carpenter or anything.  Right now I'm attempting to contract my own house, but I will still sub out the majority of the work.  It was more of a control thing to me.  I just figured nobody would know what I wanted in a house more than me.

Just check my thread and I'll keep you updated as to how it turns out.  I can say that if my experience yesterday is any indication, it's going to be extremely painful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm GCing my house and try to do as much as I can without stepping on any of my subs' toes. I've got a bobcat and a tractor, so I was able to do the site work myself. Subbed out the elec./plumbing/foundation/framing. I'm going to steal a crew from work to do the roof, and my father in law and I are going to tape and float the drywall, set the cabinetry, and lay all the tile. It's nice to not have to explain to the sub what's on the plans everyday, especially if you're working off a crappy set. It is time consuming though. I'm fortunate in that I have the kind of job that lets me go check up on the site, order material, pick up supplies, etc during the weekday. I couldn't imagine building my own house with any other job.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done. its easy and fun for some if you have approved plans. Hire subs just like a constarctor.

On small projects some subs will work for you on a handshake. Make sure you get what you want out at the start. Try not to pay out any money until on site and pay as you go. hold back ten percent until work is approved by inspector.

Always ask about the clean up. Some subs will make a mess and will cost you some day laborers to clean up.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I GC'd mine. I also did the ICF foundation, flatwork, plumbing, tile, HW floor, and all finishing including paint, trim, doors, cabinets, etc. I also did the infloor heating system in the walkout basement.

Subbed - framing, roofing, siding, electrical, insulation, sheetrock, ductwork.

I'm currently finishing the basement. I'm pretty much doing everything.

House is 38x56, garage is 30x46

Couple pics

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I GC'd mine. I also did the ICF foundation, flatwork, plumbing, tile, HW floor, and all finishing including paint, trim, doors, cabinets, etc. I also did the infloor heating system in the walkout basement.

Couple pics
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00332.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00160.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00446.jpg

Nice!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Couple pics
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00332.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00160.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/House/DSC00446.jpg

How hard was the ICF to work with ? I'm planning a 900sq ft addition and looking at foundation options.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine built his own house a while back. I mean he didn't pay someone to do it for him. He built the whole thing himself other than to have certain things certified, etc.

I have to say, he did a good job on it, but when he was done I went over there and he took me for the dime tour and all and I could see the pride in his eyes. Yep. Ole Jack _knew_ he'd saved himself loads of money and build a damn nice house... so when he asked what I thought of it, I told him:  Looks like "the house that Jack built".  

He was not amused.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By ktrout01
How hard was the ICF to work with ? I'm planning a 900sq ft addition and looking at foundation options.

In general it's easy to work with. Just tie the corners together (I used zip ties) and I would glue the courses together (I had some of the top course float off). The main problem we had was keeping everything square and plumb. The more bracing the better. I'm in sand and it was hard to get the braces to bite in the ground.

I had one major blow out on the house in the fabricated corner shown in that pic (the pic is re pour) and that was my fault not having enough bracing. We did the garage foundation separately and that went better. In fact I did most of that myself incuding setting the footing forms. My dad and I did the all the foundation work ourselves on weekends and after work. It took a few months.

I don't know if I could do it again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Everybody says that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody says that.

LOL, that's because we did it once.

I would act as the GC for sure but would not do as much of the other stuff.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My whole family are Builders.  The only things we don't do are flatwork, block/brick, and HVAC.  Every other aspect of building a house the 4 of us do.  

If you stay on top of your subs, you shouldn't have a problem.  Just remember to schedule everything, and hold your subs to that schedule!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top