Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:22:50 PM EDT
i am in the process of ripping EVERYTHING (down to studs and joists)  out of my bath and starting anew.  it's my first major DIY job.  

so i'm still a ways away from this point, but a quick tile question.  do i put the tile down first, then the fixtures (shower stall, sunken tub, toilet) on top of it?  or do i put the fixtures on the subfloor (cement backer board) and tile up to them?

thanks, i'm sure this will be the first of many questions.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually goes like this:
Large fixtures (shower & tub)
Insulation of wall & ceilings (if you removed that)
Drywall/Sheetrock
Countertops/Cabinets
Trim
Paint
Flooring
Hooking up all small fixtures (plumbing and lighting)
Final cleaning
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Doing tile is harder than it looks.  I'd recommend you start with a place you intend to redo later, or at least one that is not very visible.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm by no means a 'Pro' at remodeling, but when my father-in-law helped me redo my bath (down to studs) we installed in this order.......

tub
drywall/sheetrock
paint
tile (bath & floor)
toilet
vanity

You defintely want to install the toilet on TOP of the tile floor.  Think of it this way, if your toilet ever needs to come out or be replaced it's much easier to take it out if its sitting on top of the tile rather than below.  Same with the vanity/sink.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Trim
Paint

I'm getting ready to redo a bathroom in the house my wife and I just purchased.  Any reason why you'd put the trim in before you would paint?  Wouldn't it be easier to paint first, then install the trim?

-James
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trim
Paint

I'm getting ready to redo a bathroom in the house my wife and I just purchased.  Any reason why you'd put the trim in before you would paint?  Wouldn't it be easier to paint first, then install the trim?

-James

That is usually how it is done around here in new construction. Why pay the painters to come in again. They usually spray prime on the walls & trim at one time and then paint. Just a time saving process I guess.

When you install trim after you paint, you usually have to come back and touch up the walls because you usually bang the walls w/ the trim. Do it all at once. Install trim, touch up walls with sheetrock mud and sand. Then paint walls and paint trim.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, If your asking this now, after ripping into this project, you're in big trouble! Take my advise. GET SOME BOOKS!   Start with "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BATHROOMS" By Black and Decker.  Read it, over and over.  there is another, but cannot fine it right now, but they taught me a LOT on ripping out mine, moving my shower and tub locations, building a shower stall, tiling, etc...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Doing tile is harder than it looks.  I'd recommend you start with a place you intend to redo later, or at least one that is not very visible.

i've laid tile before.  just never in conjunction with bathroom fixtures.  thanks though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dude, If your asking this now, after ripping into this project, you're in big trouble! Take my advise. GET SOME BOOKS!   Start with "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BATHROOMS" By Black and Decker.  Read it, over and over.  there is another, but cannot fine it right now, but they taught me a LOT on ripping out mine, moving my shower and tub locations, building a shower stall, tiling, etc...

i like to live life on the edge!!

thanks for the book recommend.  i have on i picked up at lowes that wasn't very helpful.  if seen that B&D one at Home Depot.  i'll pick it up tommrow.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Usually goes like this:
Large fixtures (shower & tub)
Insulation of wall & ceilings (if you removed that)
Drywall/Sheetrock
Countertops/Cabinets
Trim
Paint
Flooring
Hooking up all small fixtures (plumbing and lighting)
Final cleaning

this isthe way I would do it also.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The only reason to put the vanity in before the tile is to save money. Its a hack job to not tile the whole floor then put in the fixtures. A tub is a different matter but a toilet always goes on top of the tile. You can hide the cut lines under the toilet and if it works out correctly you won't have any grout lines around the perimeter of the tub, just caulk the gap.

Currently repairing my bathroom due to water damage, vanity is toast. It will be coming out and I'll tile where the hackers didn't put linoleum. Me and captain morgan did some mighty fine demo work last night
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its a hack job to not tile the whole floor then put in the fixtures. A tub is a different matter but a toilet always goes on top of the tile. You can hide the cut lines under the toilet and if it works out correctly you won't have any grout lines around the perimeter of the tub, just caulk the gap.

BINGO!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only reason to put the vanity in before the tile is to save money. Its a hack job to not tile the whole floor then put in the fixtures. A tub is a different matter but a toilet always goes on top of the tile. You can hide the cut lines under the toilet and if it works out correctly you won't have any grout lines around the perimeter of the tub, just caulk the gap.

Currently repairing my bathroom due to water damage, vanity is toast. It will be coming out and I'll tile where the hackers didn't put linoleum. Me and captain morgan did some mighty fine demo work last night

i see,  thanks!!  what about a shower stall tho??  same as the tub?  or on top of the tile?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I am in the middle of the exact same thing myself.

The tub/shower must go in first.

Painted the walls.

Install Vanity.

Tile floor.

Install baseboards.

Touchup paint.

By doing it this way it makes it easy to paint and not have anything in your way.  The tile can be covered by the baseboards.  Cut them to fit, paint them laying flat somewear dust free, then when you install them they are on top of the tile and you do not have to tape the baseboards.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i see,  thanks!!  what about a shower stall tho??  same as the tub?  or on top of the tile?

Yep.....same way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top