Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 8:06:54 PM EDT
My NG / forced air furnace is limping along, but i'll be lucky to get a couple more years out of it.  It is somewhat undersized, and I would like a high efficency model for cost savings and my chimney is pretty rough as well  starting to decintegrate so I would rather remove it than replace it.   My problem is the basement is somewhat damp.  So I want a high efficency 90+ with a standing pilot light.  Anyone make one?  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, no 90+ has a standing pilot, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find ANY house furnace with a standing pilot anymore. The gooberment, you know.

If you're worried about rusting then you need to dry out your basement with an air exchanger.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nope, no 90+ has a standing pilot, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find ANY house furnace with a standing pilot anymore. The gooberment, you know.

If you're worried about rusting then you need to dry out your basement with an air exchanger.

What it that and how does it work?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get the new one off the ground on a nice plastic pad. I use the same ones we use to get A/C condensers off the ground outside, they work perfect.

Stick to either Trane or American Standard furnaces, they are the two best on the market IMHO.

Are these something you can buy for a store or is this something that you have to have installed?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the new one off the ground on a nice plastic pad. I use the same ones we use to get A/C condensers off the ground outside, they work perfect.

Stick to either Trane or American Standard furnaces, they are the two best on the market IMHO.

Are these something you can buy for a store or is this something that you have to have installed?

Just ask for it to be installed when the furnace is. It's a good thing to get your furnace up a bit anyways in case of light flooding or the like. Seen plenty set on concrete blocks also.

You really need to check to see what is commonly installed in your area as far as brand names, get some oddball one on a deal and you'll be sorry for years.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
im happy with my bryant (after I found out how to make it operarate for two story) not to sound dumb but I was inexperienced it was the first time I ever "had" to think about hvac.

you may not want to take my advice as im still not "in the know" but so far im pleased
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just ask for it to be installed when the furnace is. It's a good thing to get your furnace up a bit anyways in case of light flooding or the like. Seen plenty set on concrete blocks also.

You really need to check to see what is commonly installed in your area as far as brand names, get some oddball one on a deal and you'll be sorry for years.

Sorry about the confustion I was refering to Trane or American Standard.  I know the local supply house deals mostly with Heil.  Are they decent?       I know they sell the plastic bases.   The one I have now is on blocks, but I am going plastic on the next one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry about the confustion I was refering to Trane or American Standard.  I know the local supply house deals mostly with Heil.  Are they decent? I know they sell the plastic bases.   The one I have now is on blocks, but I am going plastic on the next one.

Heil is junk. It's made by Carrier and I absolutely hate Carrier products.

You will need to contact a certified installer in your area for Trane or American Standard. Look on their websites for recommended dealers in your area.

Any good brands that I can purchase, bring home in the back of my truck, have a friend over to help me drag it down the basement and go from there?   I am not having one installed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
 Believe it or not, Janitrol makes a great 92+.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 Believe it or not, Janitrol makes a great 92+.

Yes they do, they also have a lifetime warranty on the heat exchangers now.

Trane and American Standard are the same thing, same modle and serial numbers.

Very good products, cadillac of the industry, if you can afford that sort of thing go for it.

There are plenty of less expensive brands out there that will meet your needs.

They don't build anything like they used to, 10-15 years and it will need worked on no matter what it is.

I've worked on plenty of Trane units that had a 10 year warranty and break down 3 months after the warranty runs out.

Go with what you can afford and who you can trust.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Any problem with Lennox?SS
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any problem with Lennox?SS

I hate Lennox, don't get me started.

They do have some good equipment, but they can be a joke to work on.

Much like Trane, the company that sells them has to be an exclusive dealer of that name brand and you will pay for it.

As far as the homeowner goes, they want to turn on the t/stat and have heat.

They will all do that but when it comes down to fixing them when they break down, AND IT WILL BREAK DOWN, it's amatter of what it costs to repair.

I tell everybody, they are a man made machine, nothing is going to last for ever.

You get what you pay for and such.

Like I said before, get what you can afford and who you trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top