Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2007 7:13:32 PM EDT
first off, im certified to work with small and large freon devices(have done 4 home AC systems, but never any small appliances)
i took the back off my fridge tonight and i noticed that the compressor makes a humming noise for a few seconds then shuts off for a minute or so. the lines do not get cold or warm, so i dont think the compressor is doing much of annything, probably has a blown seal or is somehow damaged.
the odd part is there is no fittings to add freon to the system, or even to check pressure of the freon.
is it possible to repair a fridge frezer combo like this?
unit in question is a whirlpool imperial series
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd suggest contacting DrFrige.  I'd bet he's going to tell you the compressor is shot and costs as much as a new fridge.  

thats what i was worried about....
wtf gives, a fridge should not be such a disposable item!
i guess i will get my HO HO HOing done early as this will be my christmas present.
i was eyeing up a nice used eotech and a few chicom drums, guess that will have to wait.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
i shot an im to drfridge. also called themanufacturer today(very helpful people, i was pleasently supprised!) and ordered up a replacement compressor for 140$
thank god, i was going to be pretty down if i had to drop 1100$ on a fridge right about now
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
first off, im certified to work with small and large freon devices(have done 4 home AC systems, but never any small appliances)
i took the back off my fridge tonight and i noticed that the compressor makes a humming noise for a few seconds then shuts off for a minute or so. the lines do not get cold or warm, so i dont think the compressor is doing much of annything, probably has a blown seal or is somehow damaged.
the odd part is there is no fittings to add freon to the system, or even to check pressure of the freon.
is it possible to repair a fridge frezer combo like this?
unit in question is a whirlpool imperial series

Is it a Embraco compressor on the refrigerator??? If so change the Relay/overload on the side of it before u cut that compressor out...if u take the relay off (its either a one peace job thats white with 3 wires or two different peaces one white..one brown) and shake it (if two singel shake the brown one) if it rattles and dust type stuff come out of it..thats your prob
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
There is also a 3in1 capacitor that replaces the ones in most fridges. That turned out to be my problem. The compressor would not kick over because the cap went bad. Was only 30 bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top