Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2007 6:09:45 PM EDT
I want to lay 6in wide 3/4 inc heart pine boards over a smoothly finished cement slab in my storage area off my garage and would like to ask the best/easiest way to get something to nail them into to stick to the cement.  
 I was thinking of putting treated 1 x 4's across the floor and using liquid nails to hold them down. Then laying my tongue and groove flooring over that.  Would this work?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on flooring, so my approach would be a layer of plywood as a subfloor.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure your nails hit the 1x strips

I'm sure there's better ways though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm no expert on flooring, so my approach would be a layer of plywood as a subfloor.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about making sure your nails hit the 1x strips

I'm sure there's better ways though.

That is a good way. Just add a moisture barrier, 6 mill plastic will work and then 3/4 inch plywood. That is how its done in my area where just about everybody has a concrete floor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not use laminate flooring?  A water proof layer and pad and then the floating flooring.

That's the route I'd go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a supply of nice heart pine flooring I took out of an old house.  So this material is free for me so I was looking for the easiest way to fasten it down.  Thanks for the imput.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You could do a screed system like you suggested but you should attach them with a power actuated nailer (Ramset) but the best way is to use plywood that you ramset to the concrete.  For a high moisture area ideally you should put down a 1/8" layer of cold cutback roofing mastic on the concrete, then #15 roofing felt over that.  Then ramset down the plywood and add another layer of #15 roofing paper over the plywood.  Then nail down the hardwood.  You can substitute poly film for the roofing paper.

In really wet areas they will use cold cutback mastic + #15 roofing paper + another layer of mastic over the roofing paper = making a sandwich.  Then ramset the plywood and a layer of #15 roofing paper then the hardwood.  

The idea is to use the 2" hardwood nails at the proper angle so as not to run the nail all the way into the concrete.  Moisture can wick its way up into the wood if this is done.

It is a tedious method but very worth it if you floor is expensive and/or you don't want to do it again.

My home is on slab and have hardwood in most of the home done in this fashion.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This pine I have is very old slow growth heart pine that has very dense growth rings therefore it is very hard and very pretty.  Basically it is very hard to get this type of wood now as I have boards over 16ft without a not in any of them.  But the major reason is this wood was in a house that my great,great grandad lived in on a piece of family property so it has a very sentimental value also.  Thanks for the info.  You fellas are awesome!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top